Considering K&N FIPK for 5.2 ZJ ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Considering K&N FIPK for 5.2 ZJ ??

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
bobiam

Considering K&N FIPK for 5.2 ZJ ??

I'll be installing a Kolak 3" catback soon and I'm also considering the K&N FIPK. I've read a pile of old threads on this, but can't make a decision on spending $200+ based on what I've read. This will only be on road, no watercrossings. I don't mind a little sound, but I don' t want to sound like a shop vac either.

Feedback please from those of you who have the K&N FIPK with, or without a catback upgrade. And dowssides? Is this really HP you can feel in everyday driving?

Thanks for intake input,
Bob

bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Have the FIPK and a catback exhaust (Gibson) on mine, along with a bunch of other perf mods, and overall, other than sound/feel, probably not a significant help, but not anything that would hurt.

By itself, I think a replacement open-air box is a waste of money, but with a fully re-plumbed intake/exhaust, it isn't a bad idea.

If nothing else, just adding bigger rolling stock or armor will more than offset any actual gains. But if you are going to do exhaust, consider a free-flow cat, headers, and then, yeah, a K&N intake kit or equivalent.
Unread 01-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Bob,
I've got Mike Leach headers, full 3" stainless exhaust, Carsound cat, FM 70, Mopar Performance ECU, and FIPK on a 5.2.
Quite frankly, I have been considering going back to the stock air box with a K&N filter (or other high flow brand).
It's a given that the stock exhaust is restrictive, but I'm not so sure about the stock intake. Of course, I don't have any flow measuring devices handy to compare the two systems in real world operation, but I have a sneaking suspicion the stock airbox doesn't take much of a performance hit, if any, and almost certainly not enough to justify the added expense and higher maintainence requirements of the open filter.

HTH
Unread 01-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
bobiam

Thanks, guys.....That's the feedback I needed. I'm saving my money!!!

Bob
bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • K&N FIPK - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (9 replies)
  • K&n Fipk - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (3 replies)
  • K&N FIPK - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (22 replies)
  • K & N FIPK - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (2 replies)
  • K&N FIPK - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (5 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.