Considering K&N FIPK for 5.2 ZJ ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Considering K&N FIPK for 5.2 ZJ ??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
bobiam

Considering K&N FIPK for 5.2 ZJ ??

I'll be installing a Kolak 3" catback soon and I'm also considering the K&N FIPK. I've read a pile of old threads on this, but can't make a decision on spending $200+ based on what I've read. This will only be on road, no watercrossings. I don't mind a little sound, but I don' t want to sound like a shop vac either.

Feedback please from those of you who have the K&N FIPK with, or without a catback upgrade. And dowssides? Is this really HP you can feel in everyday driving?

Thanks for intake input,
Bob

bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Have the FIPK and a catback exhaust (Gibson) on mine, along with a bunch of other perf mods, and overall, other than sound/feel, probably not a significant help, but not anything that would hurt.

By itself, I think a replacement open-air box is a waste of money, but with a fully re-plumbed intake/exhaust, it isn't a bad idea.

If nothing else, just adding bigger rolling stock or armor will more than offset any actual gains. But if you are going to do exhaust, consider a free-flow cat, headers, and then, yeah, a K&N intake kit or equivalent.
Unread 01-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Bob,
I've got Mike Leach headers, full 3" stainless exhaust, Carsound cat, FM 70, Mopar Performance ECU, and FIPK on a 5.2.
Quite frankly, I have been considering going back to the stock air box with a K&N filter (or other high flow brand).
It's a given that the stock exhaust is restrictive, but I'm not so sure about the stock intake. Of course, I don't have any flow measuring devices handy to compare the two systems in real world operation, but I have a sneaking suspicion the stock airbox doesn't take much of a performance hit, if any, and almost certainly not enough to justify the added expense and higher maintainence requirements of the open filter.

HTH
Unread 01-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
bobiam

Thanks, guys.....That's the feedback I needed. I'm saving my money!!!

Bob
bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • K&N FIPK - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (9 replies)
  • K&n Fipk - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (3 replies)
  • K&N FIPK - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (22 replies)
  • K & N FIPK - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (2 replies)
  • K&N FIPK - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (5 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.