Confusing Battery Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Confusing Battery Problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 01-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
tmredmond
1996 ZJ 

Confusing Battery Problems

My 1996 Grand Cherokee will turn on if I charge the battery, but after about a minute of running, I get check gauges light and the battery gauge drops to zero.

I have replaced the battery, and the alternator I just replaced anyway. I tried cleaning the terminals.

My next guess is replacing the plugs to the alternator. Any idea what else could be causing this?

I also have an over sized battery, though brand new. Could that cause this?

tmredmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

If even a regular sized standard lead acid battery is on a full charge, it should run the vehicle at idle for a good 20 minutes at least strictly off the battery. Highway travel, maybe only a few minutes. A larger than factory sized battery should last even longer.. What is the condition of the battery terminals and cables? Are they splitting, corroding, etc? If I had to make a guess, i'd say the battery cables are corroded and not allowing proper charging, nor allowing the alternator to provide sufficient power to keep the vehicle running after the battery drains a bit.
battery size(above the OEM) will not matter as long as it is a standard 12v(really 13.2v) automotive/marine rated battery. There should be a relay in your PDC box(the skinny black fuse panel box right by the battery tray) that controls the flow of power from the alternator to the battery. That may be a good place to check next. Someone else will have to confirm this first but I think the horn relay can be pulled and put in that place to test that theory out. If it continues to run after that, it's a bad relay(around $15 starting for most relays at any auto parts stores). If it still dies, it may be the wiring harness or the ECM.

My advice, look through this Dirty Dozen link. That has some of the most common problems that causes a vehicle to stall out and the fixes for them.

it could be something as simple as a loose/bad wire on the computer. that will get you started into diagnosing it thoroughly
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

New doesn't make it good. Test the alternator output. A simple inline hoop up from an ohm meter will tell you what the alternator is producing.
johns1mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

unless you can use a voltmeter, the only thing you can do is give a good physical inspection. cables corroded inside the sleeve, fuses, all grounds, including the one on the fender. if you can use a meter, follow the links in the dirty dozen #4.

there are no relays for the charging system, though the asd relay cuts power to the generator field terminal. if it were bad, it wouldnt start at all.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
unless you can use a voltmeter, the only thing you can do is give a good physical inspection. cables corroded inside the sleeve, fuses, all grounds, including the one on the fender. if you can use a meter, follow the links in the dirty dozen #4.

there are no relays for the charging system, though the asd relay cuts power to the generator field terminal. if it were bad, it wouldnt start at all.
I knew there was a relay related to that.. Thanks for the correction!
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.