Confirmed the source of my steering drift! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Confirmed the source of my steering drift!

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Confirmed the source of my steering drift!

Ive been theorizing what was causing the drifting steering on the jeep i drive for quite a while. Since I've had a little time i have been quite motivated on a diagnose and repair marathon!! So while i was under the jeep today doing an oil change and lube i decided to have the jeep owner behind the wheel having her turn it right and left constantly while i was under the jeep inspecting the various components for play..... and my theory seemed to have panned out correctly! ......

Luckily, a friend of mine took a road trip out west last month and was personally able to source out for me a good used steering box for $50 from a JY. The donor was a 96 Jeep GC, and was able to get deal on a few other parts Ive needed to fix various issues also.
I thought about rebuilding the existing box but it has a seeping stub shaft seal and of course this issue also so it will be a good learn how to rebuild tool once i have my replacement parts in hand and old box has been replaced!.
Ive always wanted to learn how to rebuild one of them steering boxes!.

Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
iGotTheRunz
1998 ZJ 

So would this also fix the crooked steering wheel problem? Got an alignment done - while it drives straight the wheel is very crooked. Thanks!
iGotTheRunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

No but the drag link clamp next to the pitman arm will fix your crooked steering wheel, and if its too extreme to straighten it out you might consider centering out the wheels and then detaching the coupler shaft from the stub shaft on the steering box and then center the steering wheel and reconnect., if you go the disconnect route be certain not to turn your steering wheel the wrong way or lose track of which way the wheel might of been turned while disconnected as you might damage the clock spring on the steering column from an uneven turn ratio.
Unread 08-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
ravinsaend
1997 ZJ 

Your crooked steering wheel is the shop that did your alignment's fault. They're supposed to make sure it's straight. I'd suggest making them fix it, but if not it's a fairly simple adjustment
ravinsaend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
iGotTheRunz
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinsaend
Your crooked steering wheel is the shop that did your alignment's fault. They're supposed to make sure it's straight. I'd suggest making them fix it, but if not it's a fairly simple adjustment
You think the alignment shop should have fixed this? Even if it was a preexisting condition?
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
iGotTheRunz
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1r
No but the drag link clamp next to the pitman arm will fix your crooked steering wheel, and if its too extreme to straighten it out you might consider centering out the wheels and then detaching the coupler shaft from the stub shaft on the steering box and then center the steering wheel and reconnect., if you go the disconnect route be certain not to turn your steering wheel the wrong way or lose track of which way the wheel might of been turned while disconnected as you might damage the clock spring on the steering column from an uneven turn ratio.
Thanks! Do you know of a sticky or nice write up with the instructions? Thanks again.
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
melk
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGotTheRunz

You think the alignment shop should have fixed this? Even if it was a preexisting condition?
Any shop that gives half a ***** about their customers would adjust this for you out of common curtesy.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
iGotTheRunz
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Any shop that gives half a ***** about their customers would adjust this for you out of common curtesy.
I bought a "lifetime alignment" from them so I'll take it back and see what they say. Mike
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

try the steering box adjustment on the FAQ section before you swap boxes, or do it to the donor box before you install. mine had alot more play than that and it tightened up nicely
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGotTheRunz View Post
I bought a "lifetime alignment" from them so I'll take it back and see what they say. Mike
adjusting steering wheel center is PART of an alignment. they're being lazy or you're lifted too high for your steering.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
adjusting steering wheel center is PART of an alignment. they're being lazy or you're lifted too high for your steering.
i always wondered about that. technically if your lifted that high you should have upgraded away from the inverted Y, but has anyone used a longer turnbuckle(which doesn't sound particularily safe) on a factory setup?
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you'd have to be over 5" for the stock steering to not be long enough though.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
try the steering box adjustment on the FAQ section before you swap boxes, or do it to the donor box before you install. mine had alot more play than that and it tightened up nicely
Absolutely!, the donor box will get a good cleaning , seal and pitman shaft bearing inspection and perform the worm shaft bearing pre load, and the over center adjustments before its installed!!!.
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
KillaJeep4569
2006 WK 

my Truck Pulls right after alignment, and the steering wheel is pointed at 11 oclock. Idk what this guy did but messed up my **** crazy. I hope he does so then I can take care of it the correct way.

But your saying that the Steering box shaft is moving opposite direction as the pitman arm? Or whats going on you think? I dont understand from the video thanks man. As this is an issue for me and looking into deeply.
KillaJeep4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaJeep4569 View Post
my Truck Pulls right after alignment, and the steering wheel is pointed at 11 oclock. Idk what this guy did but messed up my **** crazy. I hope he does so then I can take care of it the correct way.

But your saying that the Steering box shaft is moving opposite direction as the pitman arm? Or whats going on you think? I dont understand from the video thanks man. As this is an issue for me and looking into deeply.
What your looking at is from the ground up at the pitman arm and the very bottom of the pitman shaft. If the pitman shaft bearing in the steering box is good the nut you see and the machining divot in the center of the shaft should stay perfectly on center with no play side to side as the pitman arm swings right and left, but if you look closely you will see the shaft rock side to side as the strain of pushing the drag link is let off and reapplied. Since that play in the shaft is there the steering has enough play to drift causing an undesirable handling condition, not to mention about a total of 1/8 of a turn play in the steering wheel that feels very mushy!.

Id take your rig back and have the guy redo it the right way!!!!!, don't take no for an answer, or get your $$$ back and have the alignment performed at a place that knows how to do it!.

Last edited by Smokey1r; 08-23-2011 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Helps if the cat doesnt distract me in mid thought!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.