computer reset - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > computer reset

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
yj35s
1990 YJ Wrangler 

computer reset

I have a 2003 WJ that the check engine light was on. So I reset the computer to get it inspected. How many miles do you have to go for it to clear the OBD system. I have gone 80 miles and the Evap and 02 Sensor still have not reset. THANKS

-2003 Grand Cherokee- 2''BB and 265/75 BFG all-terrain (daily driver)
yj35s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
baxy

what are you using to reset and to read the status of the monitors?
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
yj35s
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I disconnected the battery to reset the computer. When I go to get the inspection and they hook there little box up to my port and the read it on the seperate computer screen it says that the computer hasn't fully reset yet. thats all I know about it.

Unread 04-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

So you replaced the 02 sensor that the code was for and the code isnt going away after you reset the computer?

disconnect the battery fora little while
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj35s View Post
I disconnected the battery to reset the computer. When I go to get the inspection and they hook there little box up to my port and the read it on the seperate computer screen it says that the computer hasn't fully reset yet. thats all I know about it.
or you can use an odbII scanner to reset it or it resets fully after 40 key starts.
Unread 04-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
yj35s
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I disconnected it for like an hour and half. How many miles do you have to go for it to all register again?

Unread 04-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
baxy

each monitor has it's own parameters before it will run
the service manual sometimes tells you what the drive cycle is
the o2 monitor is the heater that is being monitored and the evap is going to run a test for leaks in the evap system
I'll look in the manual see if it gives the drive cycle for those monitors
Unread 04-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yj35s View Post
I disconnected it for like an hour and half. How many miles do you have to go for it to all register again?
It doesnt go by miles, it goes by 40 warm up cycles:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeeps.com
Erasing codes:

After three good trips the MIL is extinguished and the Task Manager automatically switches the trip counter to a warm-up cycle counter. DTCs are automatically erased following 40 warm-up cycles if the component does not fail again.

DTCs can be erased anytime with a DRB III. Erasing the DTC with the DRB III erases all OBD II information. The DRB III automatically displays a warning that erasing the DTC will also erase all OBD II monitor data. This includes all counter information for warm-up cycles, trips and Freeze Frame.
Unread 04-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
baxy

some systems need certain parameters to run the test , some systems are continuously monitored and some only run until the test passes and is not run again until the next time you shut down and restart..
I can't remember all the parameters for EVAP but one is a certain ambiant temp not too cold and not too warm,not too full of fuel and not below 15% EVAP can be forced with a scanner
O2 monitor is sometimes cold start on some models I think JTEC and others is at shut down SBEC but these parameters can usually be found in a manual it is different from manufacturer to manufacturer and sometimes model to model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.