Computer replacement terminal pins (intermittent shut downs) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-16-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
JS97ZJ
2004 WJ 

Computer replacement terminal pins (intermittent shut downs)

After searching everywhere for a fix for the problem of my engine shutting down intermittently that seems to effects mostly (96-98) JGCs, and after cleaning the PCM connectors then ty-wrapping a number of times. I found the solution for the bad pins.
The connectors use to be manufactured by Thomas & Betts and that division was bought out Tyco Electronics which only sell large quantities.
There are only two competitive companies that sell smaller amounts to the little people and both sites require a minimum order of $35. Since I suspect that if 1 or 2 of these pins are causing problems, chances are there will be others to follows. The big 3 all use the same pins in there vehicles and according to GM engineers once the connectors are taken apart more than 3x the connection can now be suspected as being a probable future problem. If you feel that your problems might be caused by this read on.................

The pins,
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tyco-Electronics/3-1447221-3/?qs=MvPdH6bTHujBOZcRbVlrYA%3d%3d
http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/AMP-TYCO/3-1447221-3/

After removing the connector from the computer you'll notice a Blue plastic tabs incorporated into the sides of the connector housing. This is the locking slide that in hold all the pins. Pushing in on the blue slide (the side with 2 blue exposed pieces) will release the lock. The only thing holding the pins in now is a retainer that will hold the pins in until it's locked again after the repair is made. To remove the pin from the housing you'll need a pin extractor.

https://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=247&gid=15

Sliding the extractor into housing around the wire/pin your trying to remove will release the pin retainer so the pin can be pulled out of the housing easily.

The next step will be of course crimping on the new terminal pin. The least expensive of the crimpers that I found that can be used for almost all of the terminal type pins in automotive wiring is availible though Radio Shack. If they don't stock it, get their store #, order it on line , and have it sent to there. No shipping charge and they,ll call you when it comes in. $10 bucks
The one I ordered though my local electrical / data wiring supply store cost alittle more but will cover many more types of connections D/D-sub., DoubleD, Insulated, none-insulated, barrel, top hat , that I also included the web site. Again if you get it though your local Electrical store though their distributor you could save $30 bucks.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103683

http://www.aikencolon.com/D-Sub-Double-D-Service-Tool_c_888.html

For anyone who might feel alittle weary about doing this to their electrical system I also found a couple of videos on You Tube check it out...

I hope this info helps out as much as this web site has helped me.

Update: 10/10/12............This was the the first attempt at fixing the "dying while driving syndrome" The final fix that worked was in this next thread...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...tures-1303589/

Last edited by JS97ZJ; 08-17-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-15-2010, 11:38 AM
iPlay1515
1993 ZJ 

Excellent writeup.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-22-2011, 01:55 PM
andrew520
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS97ZJ View Post

After removing the connector from the computer you'll notice a Blue plastic tabs incorporated into the sides of the connector housing. This is the locking slide that in hold all the pins. Pushing in on the blue slide (the side with 2 blue exposed pieces) will release the lock. The only thing holding the pins in now is a retainer that will hold the pins in until it's locked again after the repair is made. To remove the pin from the housing you'll need a pin extractor.
(1996 4.0L) I removed all 3 connectors from my PCM. I see no blue tabs. Are you referring to the Black/White/Grey sections of the connectors? These are held on by 4 tabs (2 on top and 2 on bottom). If so, once that is off will all the pins still be held in place? Is it pretty obvious to notice which pins will need replaced also?
post #5 of 10 Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
JS97ZJ
2004 WJ 

All the info on locking the pins into the connector is here

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/08-01-97.htm

Have you tried ty-wrapping the connectors to the PCM in order to resolve the problem with shutting off?
I have moved on to the inside of the PCM, after not being able to fix my symtoms after the ty-wrap trick failed and have finally solved it by re-soldering the circuit board. (I haven't done a write up yet) still taking pictures.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 AM
andrew520
1996 ZJ 

Thanks a lot for that link. The zip-ties worked when I first started having the problem over a year ago. Now it's getting a bit worse and new zip-ties aren't solving the problem. I was also thinking that maybe by wiggling the plugs causing the stall that it could be a bad solder in the PCM and the wiggling is moving the board and that's where the problems are coming from. I haven't taken apart the PCM to look at the board because I've read that you can't see it as it's encased in some kind insulator silicone or something?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
JS97ZJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew520 View Post
Thanks a lot for that link. The zip-ties worked when I first started having the problem over a year ago. Now it's getting a bit worse and new zip-ties aren't solving the problem. I was also thinking that maybe by wiggling the plugs causing the stall that it could be a bad solder in the PCM and the wiggling is moving the board and that's where the problems are coming from. I haven't taken apart the PCM to look at the board because I've read that you can't see it as it's encased in some kind insulator silicone or something?
This is what it looks like inside. This pic is part of the write up I'm in the process of doing. Because this junk inside is a problem that must be dealt with, coming up with the best method and explaining it without frightening others into not attempting it, is taking time. Plus I'm trying to put it through what I would consider a final test so I don't look like an a**.
Attached Thumbnails
pcm6.jpg  
post #8 of 10 Old 02-08-2012, 04:11 PM
henrygeorge
1999 WJ 

a big part of the problem are not the pin themselves but the plastic tabs holding the pin stable. the blue plate locks the wire in place and partially holds the pins stable, but the plastic tabs hold the pin itself stable. the plastic tabs become brittle and are fragile. if you disassemble the connector to replace the internals of the connector, you need to force and break the pins loose from the plastic tabs. if you cut a replacement connector from the junkyard, you can carefully push the wire from the junkyard connector with the grain of the plastic tabs, though you still threaten the integrity of the connector. you have to get the wires in correct or you'll need another connector if you must pull the wire back out. crimping the pins to make sure the pin themselves are not loose would probably be wise as well, and is probably something i overlooked when attempting this method. it takes longer, but splicing, soldering, and shrink tubing the wires of a replacement junkyard connector to the wire harness would be the best route to take without the need to make sure the integrity of the connector is not made worse by attempting to replace the internals and crimp the pins.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Russell9dewayne

I need to remove all 3 connectors from my 1999 Jeep wrangler to replace the PCM and would like to know if any one can tell me how to remove them with out breaking them ?
I can not tell how to remove them at this time.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-27-2017, 11:27 AM
ElTejano
1997 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell9dewayne View Post
I need to remove all 3 connectors from my 1999 Jeep wrangler to replace the PCM and would like to know if any one can tell me how to remove them with out breaking them ?
I can not tell how to remove them at this time.
This is an old response but may help someone out.

https://www.amazon.com/BuyCheapCable...ction+tool+kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.