Is it the computer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is it the computer?

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
beagoodo

Is it the computer?

My 96zj has had a lot of issues starting in the last month. It just cranks and cranks and cranks...

So i replaced the starter and the alternator. THat didnt work so I called in a mechanic and he replaced the ignition coil. That didnt work so he then replaced the crank sensor.

Two days later it did the same thing... turn key crank crank crank... So i called the same guy and he said it is probably the computer? Any thoughts?

Unread 03-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Wiley

Test pressure at the fuel rail next. The pump might be on its way out.

It could very well be the PCM (computer). I had the same starting problem. The capacitors in mine were dying. I replaced them for less than $5. Now it starts up every time.

1993 ZJ Laredo

5.2 V8 • 4" lift • 31s • JKS f & r track bars • JKS discos • Cragar Soft 8s • DT 3000s • OME Stabilizer
K&N drop-in • Dynomax Exhaust • Hella 500s • Westin Safari Bar • KOR Radiator Support
Dark Rosewood Jeep Club Member #5
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
Wiley

Check out this thread for the PCM fix.
Pics are on page 2.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/bad-ecu-pcm-help-330109/

1993 ZJ Laredo

5.2 V8 • 4" lift • 31s • JKS f & r track bars • JKS discos • Cragar Soft 8s • DT 3000s • OME Stabilizer
K&N drop-in • Dynomax Exhaust • Hella 500s • Westin Safari Bar • KOR Radiator Support
Unread 03-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
boilinsrt
1996 ZJ 

1) See if you are getting spark
My favorite way is a shot of starting fluid, easier than pulling a plug and all that jazz
2) See if you are getting fuel
a) Fuses first
b) Then relays, switch it out with one with the same part number with something that you know works
c) Check fuel filter. I've seen engines that won't start with clogged fuel filters
d) Fuel pump have a buddy sit by the fuel tank and listen to see if he can hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key to on but not turning it over.

3) Then there is the all the odd ball stuff like holding the pedal to the floor and turning it over if the tps sensor is bad.

Should be a good start for now...
boilinsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
John in MA
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley
Check out this thread for the PCM fix.
Pics are on page 2.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330109

The 1996-1998 ZJ's used a completely different PCM, both in function and appearance. I haven't heard about similar problems with those, if there were those directions wouldn't apply other than in a very general sense.
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
Wiley

Derp. I didn't even notice he has a 96. My mind is stuck in the olden days, as in pre 96.

1993 ZJ Laredo

Unread 03-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
John in MA
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley
Derp. I didn't even notice he has a 96. My mind is stuck in the olden days, as in pre 96.

The good old days. Real Jeeps use the AMC typeface on the front fenders.
Unread 03-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #8
Gizimomo86
1995 ZJ 

mine died on me a few months back - computer said it was the distributer, but after replacing it and everything I could think of, why not the crank sensor? yeah - that did the trick. Ive learned never to trust the computer LOL
Gizimomo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #9
John in MA
1994 ZJ 

What did the computer actually say in that case? ie: what code?
Unread 03-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #10
Gizimomo86
1995 ZJ 

I cant remember what codes it gave me, id have to go back outside and check it - I had my dad helping me, which turned out to be more money for me in the long run LOL - after that my husband had enough and had it towed to my mechanic lol
Gizimomo86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.