Computer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Computer

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
drewguere

Computer

My girlfriend has a 2003 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L

Her jeep died yesterday and the tow guy said it was the computer.

How hard is this to replace?

Im not gonna be doing it either way because its hers but if I ever need to do one Id like to know what Im in for

drewguere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
cmonson

Get the codes first before you replace anything. How would a tow truck guy no anything on the spot like that?

COuld be anything without hearing any details.

When an engine does not run it is usually only 1 of 2 issues going wrong.

Either there is no spark, or no fuel.

I really doubt it is the computer.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

This thread is useless without pics ... of your gf. Just kidding.

And so the tow gut showed you his credentials in mechanics?

No a 2003 ECU would almost never be the first thing to brain storm about.

No fuel, faulty battery, and a dead crankshaft position sensor are the most common things that cause a Jeep to die.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

cmonson has a good point pull the codes.

Try both methods in this order (even though hers is a OBDII)

Older (OBDI) models - Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key (without starting the engine) on, off, on, off, on. ("On" is NOT "Start" and "Off" is NOT "Lock"). The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!

Newer (OBDII) models - Put the key into the ignition, push down the odometer reset button, then turn the key to RUN with your finger on the button - and then release the button. The odometer will go through 1111111 through 999999, then display the car's serial number. It will then show the error codes (it might show them starting with P). If this method does not work, try the OBDI method.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
drewguere

Well it wasn't the tow guy right on the spot. They towed it to their shop, checked it out, she thought it was her alternator because that went out on her GMC and it was similar (electrical probs) then they checked it at their shop and said it was the computer, and towed it to the dealer to get it done...

...the same dealer thats ripped my mother off numerous times, and now her car has a blown motor because of their ignorance.

And of course...

loveysjeep.jpg

lindspsyched.jpg

Shes jailbait til the 21st...so dont get any ideas
drewguere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
vendetta714

why would you post pictures of your girlfreind on a website....
Unread 02-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta714
why would you post pictures of your girlfreind on a website....
read the whole thread and you will know
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
ForwardControl

Girls that drive WJ's are hot!

quardatokn, I know I browsed past a thread here explaining how to swap out the PCM and the BCM or maybe it was two threads, but now I'm having search troubles...

If it does happen to be the PCM that needs to be replaced, or if you're still interested in this, do a search for "PCM" and see if you can find it - I know it's here somewhere, and it left me feeling like I learned something, so...
2000 WJ Laredo (Champaign), 4.0L, 242 SelecTrac. [I]Added:[/I] Black front hooks. K&N FIPKII Intake. RB1 Navigation, Mopar iPod Integration. 31" BFG All Terrain T/A KO. Alpine audio upgrade (see link below). [I]Next:[/I] IRO 3" Lift, new shocks.

[B][COLOR="White"][URL="http://www.manvsbigmachine.com/users/mattlowery/misc/wjbaseaudioupgrade.pdf"]WJ Base Audio Upgrade[/URL][/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR="Green"][CENTER]I [I]HAVE [/I]A 4.0L In My WJ And LOVE It So *** Me Club Member #1[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Colorado Jeep Club Member #114[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B]
ForwardControl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.