Completely sheered an axle-side rear driveshaft bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Completely sheered an axle-side rear driveshaft bolt

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-01-2014, 06:13 AM   #1
solomon8718
1998 ZJ 

Completely sheered an axle-side rear driveshaft bolt

Not sure why this happened - I ended up stranded yesterday and having to get a tow. I tightened the bolts as tight as I could when I installed it and used thread locker. Any of you able to shed some light on this? Hopefully Ill be able to recover the driveshaft.

img_1057-medium-.jpg

img_1056-medium-.jpg

Last edited by solomon8718; 10-01-2014 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Rotated images
solomon8718 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

You may have overtightened the bolts if you tightened them as much as you could. They aren't very big and they are fine thread. The torque spec is pretty small.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
solomon8718
1998 ZJ 

Well, honestly tightening them as tight as I could wasn't exceptionally tight. I actually struggled tightening them while avoiding rounding out the heads.
Unread 10-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I'm going to say over tightened as well. Those are small bolts and don't require a bunch of torque to tighten. You can easily break the heads off of them over tightening as well. I did that once. Same goes for the brake caliper bolts.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
solomon8718
1998 ZJ 

So you guys are saying is I possibly weakened the bolt by over tightening?
Unread 10-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #6
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I was thinking the pinion angle was way off.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If it was that bad wouldn't you notice it while you were driving? It would probably feel like when my front CV shaft bit the bullet.
Unread 10-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I reckon so.
I torque those bolts pretty tight and never had a problem.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
NTH
1998 ZJ 

IIRC, torque spec for those is approx. 14-20 lb/ft
Unread 10-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
jlann
1997 ZJ 

I don't think it was over tightening. Over tightening that would take a CRAP ton of torque.. Which I don't think would be possible using regular tools (I assume you used). I'd go over all of the compromised components and look for stress fractures and strain marks. I am a construction project manager (took engineering classes for the degree on materials + stresses and strains) and believe me, I don't think you by yourself broke that from over tightening.. It happens rarely.. but not in this context.
Unread 10-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
jlann
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
This is my speculation as well ^
Unread 10-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlann View Post
I don't think it was over tightening. Over tightening that would take a CRAP ton of torque.. Which I don't think would be possible using regular tools (I assume you used). I'd go over all of the compromised components and look for stress fractures and strain marks. I am a construction project manager (took engineering classes for the degree on materials + stresses and strains) and believe me, I don't think you by yourself broke that from over tightening.. It happens rarely.. but not in this context.
The U-joint strap bolts are 1/4-28 thread. A quick look around at suggested torque values for that thread and the average is about 10-14 ft/lbs. I'm pretty sure most of us with regular tools can break that easily.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
solomon8718
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome
Thinking back this may be it. I do recall a little vibration at higher speeds. And with the torque of the niner maybe even a small amount of pinion angle being off could rip that bolt apart especially if it was weakened over time.
Unread 10-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That is the front though. 90% of the power is to the rear until it slips. There is hardly anything going to the front. A little vibration would not constitute total failure. It would be a very apparent WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP and you would want to pull over immediately.
Unread 10-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #15
solomon8718
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
That is the front though. 90% of the power is to the rear until it slips. There is hardly anything going to the front. A little vibration would not constitute total failure. It would be a very apparent WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP and you would want to pull over immediately.
Well actually that is the rear drive-shaft that sheered off and it was in 2wd at the time (TC swap). There was no obvious issue until the shaft actually let loose which certainly caused a big whomp whomp whomp.

I would describe the vibration as a loud hum (maybe like a whum sound) mostly around 75+ miles an hour.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.