Common ZJ Problems / Tutorial On How To Fix Them - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Common ZJ Problems / Tutorial On How To Fix Them

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #106
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by choyt80 View Post
Since my WJ Overland got totaled a few weeks ago, it's time to put some money and work back in the ZJ to be my daily driver again. Especially since It'll be hard to find a WJ that was in the condition mine was in anymore, and not a fan of style of the WK. So I have a ton of catching up to do with the death wobble and ABS light, which I might unplug from the dash!

Thanks again for this post!
That's not so bad........

I really need to post a pic of my 97, but the lawyers said to not do anything until the lawsuits are settled......

V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #107
choyt80
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
That's not so bad........

I really need to post a pic of my 97, but the lawyers said to not do anything until the lawsuits are settled......

No, the accident wasn't so bad. However, with under 85k miles and only two years left to pay for it, it sucks bad! I thought about buying it back but honestly that thing will never be the same.

Best of luck with your 97!
choyt80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #108
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

I love it! Since i registered ive been on virtually every day. Even if my rig has no issues. You come across something new every day! Great forum. Soon to be a paying user. Thanks.
ZJfamilyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #109
rflier
1996 ZJ 

I am brand new to this site and plan on reading everything - but as a quick question, how do I get the driver's door panel off? My window appears to be blocked by something that will not let it come up, over 3" high, but it will go down. I tried to manually pull it up but no go, it is hitting something, most likey part of the track, due to the fact that it will rock forwards and back and shouldn't, as compared to the passenger side.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
rflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #110
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Your door panel pops off all you need is take a screw driver and start working your way around it. Be careful since some of the plastic pieces are brittle
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #111
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1289 View Post
Your door panel pops off all you need is take a screw driver and start working your way around it. Be careful since some of the plastic pieces are brittle
I use a claw bar like this one, it helps keep the clips from breaking because you can get around both sides of the clip

http://stanleytools.com/default.asp?...%3B+II+Pry+Bar

There is also a special tool made just for those clips, but I've never needed one.
Replacement clips are also cheap and easy to find in the Dorman Help section of your local parts store.
There are also 4 screws to remove, one behind your inside door release, one by your side view mirror, and two that are kind of in the middle of the panel
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #112
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflier View Post
I am brand new to this site and plan on reading everything - but as a quick question, how do I get the driver's door panel off? My window appears to be blocked by something that will not let it come up, over 3" high, but it will go down. I tried to manually pull it up but no go, it is hitting something, most likey part of the track, due to the fact that it will rock forwards and back and shouldn't, as compared to the passenger side.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Mine does this on occasion. You have to mess with the regulator behind the door. Mine was slightly bent causing it to bind up and only roll up the rear of the window. Grease up the track while you're back there and make sure the two end nuts are tight as well.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #113
rhall128
1994 ZJ 

Hard starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Going to add some more today. Anybody have a request?
I have a 1994 ZJ and when it hasn't been run in an hour or more it takes a lot of cranking to get it to fire. I have shortened this by turning the key on, off, on, cranking briefly, off, on, start. It seems to me that the fuel pump has to pump fuel all the way back to the engine. When it starts right up I don't here the fuel pump running. I have stock version with the Laredo package. Everyone seems to think it is a spark problem but I have pulled each spark plug out and cranked it over touching a ground and they all had steady and good spark. They have been gapped 3 times after many people thought that was my problem. So that tells me that it is a fuel issue.
rhall128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #114
Edwardmiller221

Try cleaning out the intake.
Edwardmiller221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #115
SweetPEALvr15
1996 ZJ 

Have u ever changed the fuel pump? If not then that's more then likely the culprit because you should hear it. I recently replaced my stock one and mines a 96 so try that.
SweetPEALvr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #116
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Fuel system doesn't keep pressure up while the Jeep is turned off. You should hear the pump run every time you turn the key to "on", unless you were just running it.
My bet would be dirty or loose battery connections/grounds. Maybe dirty IAC.
My Jeep started significantly faster after I cleaned the IAC and put new battery terminal ends in.
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #117
Edwardmiller221

Mine was not starting good until I cleaned my intake 97 5.2 with 200k
Edwardmiller221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #118
rhall128
1994 ZJ 

I think I explained it wrong. When the fuel pump doesn't run, it starts up right away. So I am thinking that the fuel system is already pressurized. Sometimes in the morning it will be easy to start and most others it acts like the fuel system has no pressure. Haven't changed anything in the fuel system but the filter last year. But I have had it for 1 yr 9 mo. If anything has been changed the person I bought it from did not know. He only had it for 4 months. I don't remember what IAC is so I will have to look it up.
rhall128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #119
keastland
1996 ZJ 

I might have missed it in this thread, but thought I remembered a tutorial on fixing the issue where your door won't lock/unlock all the time and can be fixed by cleaning out the motor/actuator. I found a couple threads that discuss it, but did not find a real tutorial. I'm going to be taking this on in the near future and will try to document the process as best as I can for submission to this thread... if I'm successful :-)

Unless of course someone knows of a thread with a full tutorial.

Edit: Found this; http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1940
keastland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #120
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keastland View Post
I might have missed it in this thread, but thought I remembered a tutorial on fixing the issue where your door won't lock/unlock all the time and can be fixed by cleaning out the motor/actuator. I found a couple threads that discuss it, but did not find a real tutorial. I'm going to be taking this on in the near future and will try to document the process as best as I can for submission to this thread... if I'm successful :-)

Unless of course someone knows of a thread with a full tutorial.

Edit: Found this; http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1940
I wouldn't take the motor out of the plastic housing unless cleaning the rest of the actuator doesn't work. Also be careful opening up the actuator (2 screws) because sometimes those springs come flying out!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.