Common ZJ Problems / Tutorial On How To Fix Them - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Common ZJ Problems / Tutorial On How To Fix Them

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #91
bravekate
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Nobody is going to read these two threads. They don't even read the stickies or FAQ's.

I'll have you know I read EVERYTHING!! Makes me wish I had a garage. I'd be out there right now!

bravekate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #92
jred4sbrg
1998 ZJ 

Great thread!

Thanks for putting this together guys. Noob here and you just answered some questions I wasn't quite sure I had yet.
jred4sbrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #93
kganyo
1996 ZJ 

'96 Grand Cherokee needs help

I have so many issues I'm not sure where to start..... First, the cat was removed and replaced with a straight pipe. Now I have gas smell when running. Not sure it the pipe just wasn't attached right or what, but was told that replacing it would help with gas mileage. Yes or no? Also, what part(s) would I need to replace the cat? There's a local hs student that has offered to help with what he can, but.....

I have a very loud tick when the Jeep is running, seems to get a little better when it's warm, but never goes away. Was told it's not the usual culprits and that it's from deep in the engine. Any ideas?

My headlights stopped working suddenly the other day. All I get is the front running lights, no headlights. Is there a fuse that could have blown? No clue about these things.

Is anyone here from WI, that could help a lady out? Sick of mechanics inventing things that are wrong or simply not wanting to deal with anything. I really don't want to sell my baby, but if anything else goes wrong I'll be forced to. Oh and I'm only getting 9 mpg right now, probably because of the exhaust problem.

All help is appreciated. I wish I knew more about working on this.
kganyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #94
DevonsJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ima print that out and put it in the jocky box.. Great job.
DevonsJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #95
Moparmissus
1994 ZJ 

Awesome post! Will help with a few things on the ZJ I got for my son.
Moparmissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #96
crashnola

Thank you so much for this post! Just bought my very first jeep, and I can see at least a half dozen items on the list that I will be referencing in the upcoming weeks. Thanks!
crashnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #97
jeepjeep523
1998 ZJ 

I have bosch +4's on my ZJ, anyone have any bad experiences with them? Not sure if they're the culprit behind my jeep not accelerating as fast as it used to and using more gas.
jeepjeep523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #98
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Could be,chrysler never had high zoot ignition systems,i believe the +4's are overkill and may be too much plug for the system with that being said,i do believe an autolite platinum is a good choice,most folks here will tell you to run champion copper cores,imo champions suck,i dont even run em in my lawnmower.
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #99
ThundROkieZJ98
1998 ZJ 

Great and very useful info, Thanks!!!
ThundROkieZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #100
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundROkieZJ98 View Post
Great and very useful info, Thanks!!!

I haven't updated it in awhile. My ZJ hasn't done anything silly lately.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #101
choyt80
1997 ZJ 

Jason, thank you for this write-up!
I have a 97 with over 253k and have been eating up catalytic converters every two years when I go in for emissions. It's coming up (emissions) again and I'm going to replace both o2 sensors that I think was giving me the issue - running lean, and replace the cat. However, no check engine light lit. The Jeep still runs great and I don't understand what else could be the issue.

A couple additions to suggest is the coolant sensor bad chime from the vic. I remember doing that solder job and it really saved me the headache of hearing that constant chime. But, there are quite a few write-ups regarding this.

Another constant issue I have is with the memory mirrors and seats. I have been using my key instead of the fob due to possibly burning out that seat motor and constantly changing the mirrors.

I remember losing tranny fluid and taking it in to get looked at, they wanted a ton for replacing the lines. Fortunately, I didn't have them do it and I found out it was leaking from the little elbow hose connecting to the tranny cooler. I think this elbow hose can be the culprit for many.

Since my WJ Overland got totaled a few weeks ago, it's time to put some money and work back in the ZJ to be my daily driver again. Especially since It'll be hard to find a WJ that was in the condition mine was in anymore, and not a fan of style of the WK. So I have a ton of catching up to do with the death wobble and ABS light, which I might unplug from the dash!

Thanks again for this post!
1013030_684935914854950_1871292591_n.jpg  
choyt80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #102
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Nobody is going to read these two threads. They don't even read the stickies or FAQ's.

I'm reading boss, I'm reading.........
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #103
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by choyt80 View Post
Jason, thank you for this write-up!
I have a 97 with over 253k and have been eating up catalytic converters every two years when I go in for emissions. It's coming up (emissions) again and I'm going to replace both o2 sensors that I think was giving me the issue - running lean, and replace the cat. However, no check engine light lit. The Jeep still runs great and I don't understand what else could be the issue.

Do you have a cracked exhaust manifold? If it's bad enough the extra air sucking in could throw off the upstream oxygen sensor, making it run rich and ruin the converters.

A couple additions to suggest is the coolant sensor bad chime from the vic. I remember doing that solder job and it really saved me the headache of hearing that constant chime. But, there are quite a few write-ups regarding this.

I added it under the headlight soldering one.

Another constant issue I have is with the memory mirrors and seats. I have been using my key instead of the fob due to possibly burning out that seat motor and constantly changing the mirrors.

Just added this to the list. Check it out.

I remember losing tranny fluid and taking it in to get looked at, they wanted a ton for replacing the lines. Fortunately, I didn't have them do it and I found out it was leaking from the little elbow hose connecting to the tranny cooler. I think this elbow hose can be the culprit for many.

I added this to the transmission leak problem.

Since my WJ Overland got totaled a few weeks ago, it's time to put some money and work back in the ZJ to be my daily driver again. Especially since It'll be hard to find a WJ that was in the condition mine was in anymore, and not a fan of style of the WK. So I have a ton of catching up to do with the death wobble and ABS light, which I might unplug from the dash!

I disabled my ABS the first week I bought my ZJ, then removed the bulb from the dash.

I just added death wobble cures to the list.

Thanks again for this post!
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #104
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post
I'm reading boss, I'm reading.........
Added a few more today.
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #105
choyt80
1997 ZJ 

Your the man Jason!

I've so far fixed death wobble twice in my ZJ. It always seemed to be an issue with the drag link, basically the link that connects both the tie rod and the drag link failed miserably. So thankful I can drive on the highway again!

Now my sunroof is stuck on the vent-up position. I've swapped switches with no luck and now all signs are pointing to the relay chip near the sunroof motor. I hate taking the headliner out! I found a replacement at the yard as well as a passenger leather seat that looks brand new, however, I'm going to try to swap the seat cushions as I need it for my drivers side. It can be done with some engineering tweaks! Thanks again!
choyt80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.