Common ZJ Problems / Tutorial On How To Fix Them - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 283 Old 11-06-2012, 04:36 PM
tyler_t
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dahlonega
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins

Sounds very much like a faulty TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
Do you have more information on the problems that the TPS causes?


Built Not Bought #682
tyler_t is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 283 Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
JasonStebbins
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,138
Slight intermittent misfire.

Loss of power/sputtering/stalling.

Erratic RPMS.

Shifting problems.

Poop
JasonStebbins is offline  
post #48 of 283 Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 PM
tyler_t
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dahlonega
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins
Slight intermittent misfire.

Loss of power/sputtering/stalling.

Erratic RPMS.

Shifting problems.
Yeah, that sounds about right. It seems to cut out while it's in third gear but if I press the gas and get it to about 45 while going uphill it seems to stop. Jason I wrote you in another thread about your headlights.

Built Not Bought #682
tyler_t is offline  
post #49 of 283 Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
JasonStebbins
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,138
Replace it with Mopar/NTK brand or your problems will persist.

Sorry I post a lot on here, didn't notice it. Yes I have the ZxE? Silverstars and they work great with my new headlamps. I can't justify spending $300.00 on the Kolak or Halo upgrade.

Make sure you adjust them, especially if you are lifted.

Poop
JasonStebbins is offline  
post #50 of 283 Old 11-07-2012, 04:35 AM
tyler_t
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dahlonega
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins
Replace it with Mopar/NTK brand or your problems will persist.

Sorry I post a lot on here, didn't notice it. Yes I have the ZxE? Silverstars and they work great with my new headlamps. I can't justify spending $300.00 on the Kolak or Halo upgrade.

Make sure you adjust them, especially if you are lifted.
You are the first person that I've found that uses them, and I was wondering how they were. I don't really want to purchase Kolaks upgrade or anything like that, I'm cheap. But I will have more when I add the KC lights on the roof. What kind of lense housing did you buy because I can't seem to find any?

Built Not Bought #682
tyler_t is offline  
post #51 of 283 Old 11-07-2012, 09:00 AM
jeepgirl1321
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 65
absolutely loved this. laughed at half of them, glad im not the only one with a bipolar jeep!!!! I love the thread. keep it up!!! :
jeepgirl1321 is offline  
post #52 of 283 Old 11-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Montaska
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 445
My mechanic said I have a parasitic drain, ah ha! Will try your suggestion out. Thanks!

Build Thread!
1997 ZJ: Sold | 2002 WJ: Sold | 2007 JK: Current!
11b Veteran (OIF)
Montaska is offline  
post #53 of 283 Old 11-07-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
JasonStebbins
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_t View Post
You are the first person that I've found that uses them, and I was wondering how they were. I don't really want to purchase Kolaks upgrade or anything like that, I'm cheap. But I will have more when I add the KC lights on the roof. What kind of lense housing did you buy because I can't seem to find any?
Just a set of new lenses on eBay. I'm very happy with my night time output and radius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaska View Post
My mechanic said I have a parasitic drain, ah ha! Will try your suggestion out. Thanks!
I seemed to have acquired one in the last two weeks. Having trouble starting in the morning since it's been cold out.

Poop
JasonStebbins is offline  
post #54 of 283 Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 PM
steeptrail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: boise
Posts: 1
Thanks Jason!

I've been driving around for years wishing the steering in my 93 ZJ wasn't loose. I even bought and installed a reman gear box after unsuccessfully trying to resolve the problem by doing the over-center adjustment. The new gearbox was EVEN WORSE! After reading your 12 things post, I read the attached TSB and did the bearing preload adj which fixed my problem!! Thanks for taking the time to post it!
steeptrail is offline  
post #55 of 283 Old 11-10-2012, 04:31 PM
evals
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Like I said I'm new and sill finding new threads so I'm reposting this in here cuz it fits. I really could use any help. Btw the filter is new also. Throttle down shift cable has very little to no play. About .25 mm of free play. Don't know about the tps. A transmission shop said it was something deeper and needed rebuilt. I really can't afford that right now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by evals
I'm new to this form and am having a shifting problem. I have a 96 grand Cherokee Laredo with the 42 re transmission. It has 120,000 miles on it. When I'm driving and the transmission is up to full temperature it starts to miss shift. It will jump from 2nd, 3rd and OD to what feels like neutral for just a split second and then back into gear. Fluids are new and had the governor solenoid and transducer replaced. There is no feeling of slip in it. I'm not very good with automatics so please spell it out for me. I've always been a manual transmission person. Manuals are simple to work on however this automatic has me kinda intimidated. Any help would be great. Thanks
evals is offline  
post #56 of 283 Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 PM
TallyZJ
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Going to add some more today. Anybody have a request?

Add to "Miss at Idle/Erratic Idle"

- Check and/or replace injector o-rings

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 - 4.0L
Capital City Jeepers
Build Thread Here
TallyZJ is offline  
post #57 of 283 Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
JasonStebbins
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeptrail View Post
I've been driving around for years wishing the steering in my 93 ZJ wasn't loose. I even bought and installed a reman gear box after unsuccessfully trying to resolve the problem by doing the over-center adjustment. The new gearbox was EVEN WORSE! After reading your 12 things post, I read the attached TSB and did the bearing preload adj which fixed my problem!! Thanks for taking the time to post it!
Glad it helped you. I did this awhile back and was very happy at a 1/4" turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyZJ View Post
Add to "Miss at Idle/Erratic Idle"

- Check and/or replace injector o-rings
Just added it.

Been having problems with the links I used, some of them aren't working anymore. I'll have to go back and re-paste them I suppose.

Poop
JasonStebbins is offline  
post #58 of 283 Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 PM
jeepgirl1321
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 65
Any ideas on why my 4.0 would literally shut off when im driving? everything else stays on. Fixed any loose connections...pleasee help!
jeepgirl1321 is offline  
post #59 of 283 Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Wheeler97
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Shelton
Posts: 33
Awesome thread! I have a feeling I will be reading this one a lot
Wheeler97 is offline  
post #60 of 283 Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
JasonStebbins
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl1321 View Post
Any ideas on why my 4.0 would literally shut off when im driving? everything else stays on. Fixed any loose connections...pleasee help!
Could be a number of things. What does it do when it dies?

Fuel pump/CPS/Alternator/Battery/TPS/Upstream oxygen sensor/ECM

Post some symptoms of what happens before/when it dies.

Poop
JasonStebbins is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome