Common ZJ Problems / Tutorial On How To Fix Them - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Common ZJ Problems / Tutorial On How To Fix Them

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 11-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #31
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBhael View Post
"Third, flush the coolant system. There is a plug at the bottom of the radiator that makes this an easy process. Please don't do this while engine is warm."

Back when I was a teenager, I watched my step-brother do basically that exact thing. We were driving and he notice the engine seemed to be getting a little too warm. We pulled over, he popped the hood, reached for the radiator cap and burned his hand. SO HE GETS A TOWEL AND OPENS THE CAP!!! Luckily he jumped back and somehow didn't burn himself bad. I'm a ***hole, so of coarse, I laughed my butt off.
back in highschool we ran into a situation where we had to open the radcap while things were running and what we ended up doing was grabbing some coveralls and engulfing the entire cap with them so any spray was right into the fabric and not on us when we opened it

Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #32
Cymro
1997 ZJ 

Brilliant post Jason, very informative, and a good starting point for the beginners, just hope they use it.
Cymro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #33
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBhael View Post
Back when I was a teenager, I watched my step-brother do basically that exact thing. We were driving and he notice the engine seemed to be getting a little too warm. We pulled over, he popped the hood, reached for the radiator cap and burned his hand. SO HE GETS A TOWEL AND OPENS THE CAP!!! Luckily he jumped back and somehow didn't burn himself bad. I'm a ***hole, so of coarse, I laughed my butt off.
I actually did this somewhat when I flushed my coolant. That's why I added the last part. I let the engine cool for about 15 minutes while playing fetch with my dog. I took off that plug on the bottom of the radiator thinking that was a long enough wait. Wrong. As soon as I turned it 90 degrees the plug flew off and coolant sprayed out like a jet stream. Luckily I was laying to the side and using channel locks to take it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Brilliant post Jason, very informative, and a good starting point for the beginners, just hope they use it.
Thank you sir. It was worth the few hours of writing. These ZJ's can be a pain sometimes, and the fix is usually pretty simple. I'd rather have a new guy learn to wrench on his own vehicle rather then go to the shop and pay an arm and a leg for a hack job with cheap parts.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #34
codyhazzard

what is the common problem or short with the #7 fuse for the instrument cluster? like where is the common short or what causes it to be a parasitic draw?
codyhazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #35
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Usually caused by a faulty BCM (Body Control Module). It is located under the driver's side dash. Commonly needs re-soldered or replaced altogether.
Unread 11-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #36
codyhazzard

I already re-soldered them, when I did a parasitic load test i only had .220mA but when I pulled the #7 fuse it dropped to .018mA so is there anything else other than the BCM that are normally shorted in that circut?
Unread 11-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #37
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Brake light switch.

All four door modules.

Trailer tow circuit breaker.

Rear wiper motor.

Lift glass limit switch.

Speaker amplifier under the rear seat.

Automatic headlight sensor.

There's some things that are in that circuit.
Unread 11-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #38
codyhazzard

is there somewhere i can find out everything that is on that circut? or is that all that is on that circut?
Unread 11-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #39
tyler_t
1996 ZJ 

Great thread, tons of valuable information!
Built Not Bought #682
tyler_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #40
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyhazzard View Post
is there somewhere i can find out everything that is on that circut? or is that all that is on that circut?
That is everything on the circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_t View Post
Great thread, tons of valuable information!
Hope it helps you in the future.
Unread 11-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #41
NJ2MDJim
1993 ZJ 

Very nice thread. Thanks!!
NJ2MDJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #42
tyler_t
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins

Hope it helps you in the future.
Oh it definitely will. It answered so many of my questions that I had. The biggest thing right now is the cutting out/loss of power during acceleration.
Built Not Bought #682
tyler_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #43
booked101
1997 ZJ 

bookmarked for later reference. thanks
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #44
codyhazzard

alright just wanted to make sure, im not even positive thats where the draw is coming from, .220mA isnt an excessive draw, im probably gonna replace all the battery wires then if that doesnt help test all those circuts
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #45
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_t View Post
Oh it definitely will. It answered so many of my questions that I had. The biggest thing right now is the cutting out/loss of power during acceleration.
Sounds very much like a faulty TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyhazzard View Post
alright just wanted to make sure, im not even positive thats where the draw is coming from, .220mA isnt an excessive draw, im probably gonna replace all the battery wires then if that doesnt help test all those circuts
Let us know how the battery wires go. We're here to help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.