Color codes for interior - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Color codes for interior

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Color codes for interior

Well, as some of you know, my carpet is ruined... so, I need a replacement cutpile.

I've looked for the interior code for my Jeep, but can't find it. And when I go online and look up '98 interior codes, it only shows up 9196 Medium Opal, no matter where I go. I have a tan interior, and the only color code that I can find that's similar to tan is 4640 Dark Saddle, listed only for the '97.

What color code is my tan interior for my '98 ZJ? And where would be the best place to find the OEM codes?

'96 XJ Country (pearl white) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Daily driver.
'98 XJ Classic (moss green) 2WD, 4.0L HO I6, AW4. Restoration project.

Gone, but not forgotten: '88 MJ Pioneer, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7, '98 ZJ Limited

Blue Jeep Club Member #113

How to install an RB1 w/ working nav into a '97-'01 XJ!
Country Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I went ahead and ordered replacement carpet in dark saddle... got it in, and apparently, it's the wrong color. MUCH deeper shade of tan. So, would it be medium saddle?

I recently got a build sheet for my ZJ, and all it says is "saddle", not what shade. Seriously, where can I find the OEM codes? And does somebody know a good supplier of automotive carpeting?

What I got was pretty cheap... 80/20 cutpile with 40oz jute backing, no insulation. It's ok if I can't find carpet with insulation already installed, I'll order 50 sq. feet of Brown Bread (well, now it's called B-Quiet Ultimate), but I do want it to be high-quality cutpile/knit; nothing cheaper than OEM. I'm not too worried about how much it costs, just as long as it's not over $500. But I do want to have good, quality carpet. And apparently, everyone online only supplies "commercial/industrial automotive carpet replacement"

Gone, but not forgotten: '88 MJ Pioneer, '94 ZJ Limited, '85 CJ7, '98 ZJ Limited

Unread 08-01-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
teenwolf1393
1997 ZJ 

good post. my build sheet just says floor carpet, no color code. my carpet is horrible battery acid in the cargo bay makes a giant hole in the carpet. and makes ur car smell horrible
teenwolf1393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I hate to have to bump this up, knowing most people around here don't order new carpet on regular.

But.......... bump. All I really want is a good guide to the OEM codes. Now it seems as if everyone is saying that "Medium Opal" is the only color that came in '98.

Unread 08-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Brian's 97 ZJ
1997 ZJ 

It does seem that a lot of the websites say Opal for your year.

I found 1A Auto's carpet color selection to have a wide range available. As always though, an exact match is not guaranteed.

This company seems to have the best pricing on complete carpeting so far.

I'll be buying new carpet myself in the near term...just need to find some new front seats (or all) that are in good shape for a reasonable cost.

- Brian

For some reason, being a member of the CharGold Jeep Club just isn't as cool... Member #1
Brian's 97 ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

why didnt u save the pice of the carpet that was behind your kick panels then you could match it up at an upholstry store that like does headliners and such -
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #7
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alivenkickin28
why didnt u save the pice of the carpet that was behind your kick panels then you could match it up at an upholstry store that like does headliners and such -
Because everyone within 100 miles of me only do home carpeting... and not much of that either. Around here, with all the Z71's and such, nobody needs a automotive upholstery shop.

But I sent back the carpet and ordered from Auto-Interior, and also opted for the mass backing... maybe I can get away without buying brown bread (or B-Quiet Ultimate... whatever ). Also ordered it in dark saddle again... the pics are alot different from that of ACC's (who I originally ordered the carpet from), and the pic of dark saddle appears to match up with my carpet alot better than ACC's example of dark saddle. Guess I'll have to wait and see...

Unread 08-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

well you'll need insulation under that carpet -- that zJ floor gets rather hot!
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
BradMB2004

we sell "auto custom carpet" where i work. it's great stuff!!!
1997 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
BradMB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
Country Jeep
Comanche Kemosabe

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alivenkickin28
well you'll need insulation under that carpet -- that zJ floor gets rather hot!
That's why I opted for mass backing. Hopefully, that means the whole back of the carpet, and not just the passenger sections. The ACC I had got in did have insulation, but it was old-style door/dash insulation, and only in the driver, front passenger, and rear sections. None at all for the cargo section. If the carpet I just ordered doesn't have the enclosed "steel-straw" insulation that my stock carpet has, I'll order the 50 sq. feet of B-Quiet Ultimate, and fill in the spots (or maybe just resurface the entire back, and remove the stock insulation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMB2004
we sell "auto custom carpet" where i work. it's great stuff!!!
What I got was fair material, for replacing something like a Honda Accord's, Mazda 626's, or such carpeting that comes with basic cutpile. My ZJ's stock carpet is close-knit, plush carpeting with this "steel-straw"-like stuff enclosed in plastic underneath. And apparently, when wet, likes to poke holes in the plastic... and mold after awhile. It's kind of hard to tell from this pic, but you can see the slightly green tint on the back of the carpet:

It's very thick; about 3/4", and what I had got from ACC was about 1/6". Hopefully, what I get from "Auto-Interior" will have this kind of insulation.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.