Collision With Aftermarket Bumpers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Collision With Aftermarket Bumpers

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Collision With Aftermarket Bumpers

I'm working on new bumpers for my trail jeep, until I get the 9er back up to par I'm still using the trail jeep as a DD and I'm wondering about bumpers in a collision.

I imagine that steel will protect the jeep a lot better than the stock plastic and styrofoam. But probably more chance to torque the unibody.

Is there any legal/insurance problem with having steel? Every time I've been rear ended my hitch has gone right through the radiator of the poor sap behind me, I can't imagine what real steel would do.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I rear-ended a Civic with the Jeep and ARB bumper. Really wish I had a picture lol.

Both rear quarters, trunk lid, rear glass, all rear lights and the sheetmetal around the trunk on the Civic were mangled. Two small scuffs on the ARB. This was 10MPH crash, MAYBE.

I had no issues with the police at the scene, in fact they laughed when they saw what happened. My insurance company didn't have an issue either paying out $6k to fix a 1998 Civic. My insurance does know what I have done to the Jeep and they have pictures of it.

In low speed and against soft objects (read animals and people), it will hold up much better than the stock bumper cover or a brush guard. At high speeds, its still going to bend and damage the frame, but it will protect you more. I hit a tree dead center with my old Jeep at maybe 45MPH. That crash snapped my winch in two, bend the bumper out, bent the rebar in, sheared the motor mounts off and pushed the engine back a few inches. I walked away. If I didn't have the bumper, I probably would have bled out from the engine coming through the firewall and winding up in my lap.

WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Is there any legal/insurance problem with having steel?
Legal, no. Insurance, ask your insurance agent.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.