cold start/idle/run intermittent issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > cold start/idle/run intermittent issue

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
philWJHuntley
1997 ZJ 

cold start/idle/run intermittent issue

My grand Cherokee 4.0 (65,000m) has just been serviced, new battery, new starter motor (this issue broke the original).
For years it has had a mild idle issue and seems to always hunt slightly. It is much worse now, where some days, I have to put the gas peddle to the floor and painfully crank until it starts which it usually does (good ole jeep!). I had to do this every time until a recent overdue service. Despite the service there is a problem still. Once it starts it then idles terribly and drives badly although this sometimes clears after a while. Others days it starts and drives ok!
At the moment I cannot drive it, when revved in Park or I try and drive it, it looses power and misses. It seems, when under pressure, it folds like it is being starved of fuel or a spark.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Phil (London, UK)

Last edited by philWJHuntley; 10-15-2013 at 03:25 PM..
philWJHuntley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

are you running petrol or LP?

If you're running petrol. sounds like the fuel pressure may be the issue. There's a port on the fuel rail to attach a gauge. Should be reading 49 plus or minus 5 PSI
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
philWJHuntley
1997 ZJ 

Thanks ZeeJay
it is fuel - i'll get that tested.

is LP worth doing?
philWJHuntley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by philWJHuntley View Post

is LP worth doing?
I dont know because that's a UK thing. I know of at least on forum member over there that has a dual fuel unit.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.