Cold Engine Noise Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cold Engine Noise Problems

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Tallgeese179
1998 ZJ 

Cold Engine Noise Problems

I noticed that my Jeep has been making a distinct clapping noise any time the engine is not up to operating temperature. It sounds worst on cold mornings, but becomes quieter as the engine warms up. The noise is RPM dependent, so I'm assuming it has something to do with the engine. The noise isn't as audible when the engine is idling, but quickly shows up as soon as I pull out of my parking spot. My father and I think that a slightly loose rocker might be the cause of the noise, but we're not sure. A mechanic friend of his told him that our jeep has self adjusting rockers so it can't really be fixed without replacing it. I've never heard of such a thing so I'm having a hard time believing it. Since purchasing it 5 years ago, we have been careful to do regular maintenance on our jeep so I'm somewhat surprised by it. We really need it to the 2 more years of commuting to college so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Vehicle Info:
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
~175000 miles
4.0L I6 with stock 4 speed transmission
Completely stock

Tallgeese179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Synthetic oil will minimize cold weather tick, as will installing a remote start and giving it as much warmup as possible. A cold weather ticker really appreciates every second of warmup you can give it, as little as 60 seconds makes all the difference in the world.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold , engine , noise

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.