COLD air intake, I mean COLD! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > COLD air intake, I mean COLD!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 08-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Jeepster24
2002 WJ 

COLD air intake, I mean COLD!

Hey guys, What do you think the benefits would be if I were somehow able to (instead of doing a traditional CAI....which besically draws warm air from the engine anyways.) find a way to come up with a cold air condenser that tapped into my air intake box, I have a K&N flat filter in there now, but i'm wondering what would happen if i could get the air in the colder,.....

P.S. this is theoretical, and I know that i'll have to find a way to power up any such device, but lets ignore that detail for now....

Jeepster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Strada

Google for WAES, but itīs more for the turbo engines, because there are the benefites higher (wich makes sense lol), and this is my AFE "Real" CAI Steup:

Strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You're not going to see any real gains from getting the air cold.
Unread 08-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILL View Post
You're not going to see any real gains from getting the air cold.
colder air = denser air

denser air = more air to burn in each combustion cycle

There may not be much of a gain, but there will be some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

cheak out the other cold air intake thread going on right now, i got pics of my setup in there
Unread 08-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
denser air = more air to burn in each combustion cycle
Actually, it's the gas that burns, not the air. In order to make use of the "extra" air, more fuel has to be injected. The computer, with the aid of O2 sensor input, makes sure that the air/fuel ratio stays about the same. Gas mileage remains the same and so does the power except at higher engine speeds when at WOT.

If cold air made any difference, mileage and power would be a lot different in cold winter than in hot summer.
Unread 08-31-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Let's find out how the Canadians feel about this.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
footinmouth47
1998 ZJ 

Ya when it didnt get above 8 * here over 2 weeks my MPG's went down not up so I would say no really cold air does not help all that much. I know im not canadian but the UP is up there.
Greg

Built not Bought member #247

SOLD:( new DD- 04 polaris sportsman
footinmouth47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
Kolak
Vendor

Generally speaking, for every 10 degree F. drop in air temperature, power will increase by 1%. Here in AZ, anyone who has ever driven on a hot summer day where the temperature is about 115 degrees F. vs a cold winter night with air temps. in the 30s would immediately notice quit a difference in power.

Four Wheeler Magazine did an extensive series of articles some years ago called "Project MPG." They tested stock air intakes, K&N FIPKs, insulated stock air intakes, and insulated air FIPKs. All results were dyno tested and the resulting air temperature drops fell right in line with the predicted power increases.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Yes, but in the interest of full disclosure, it must be mentioned that any power increase occurs at WOT when the O2 sensor inputs are being ignored by the PCM. Also, it is a general rule that dyno tests must be done at WOT as well. At anything less that WOT, the throttle position which is highly variable, sets the power output regardless of cold or hot air.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #11
Kolak
Vendor

Right, but the engine still will be making more power at any given throttle angle with colder, denser air vs. hot air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2001wj View Post
Yes, but in the interest of full disclosure, it must be mentioned that any power increase occurs at WOT when the O2 sensor inputs are being ignored by the PCM. Also, it is a general rule that dyno tests must be done at WOT as well. At anything less that WOT, the throttle position which is highly variable, sets the power output regardless of cold or hot air.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster24 View Post
Hey guys, What do you think the benefits would be if I were somehow able to (instead of doing a traditional CAI....which besically draws warm air from the engine anyways.) find a way to come up with a cold air condenser that tapped into my air intake box, I have a K&N flat filter in there now, but i'm wondering what would happen if i could get the air in the colder,.....

P.S. this is theoretical, and I know that i'll have to find a way to power up any such device, but lets ignore that detail for now....
What engine do you have? On the 4.0 you can significantly reduce the temperature of intake air simply by heat wrapping your exhaust headers, which are located right below the intake manifold, causing it to heat up tremendously. Whether or not you were able to come up with such a system to artificially cool the air, you'd want to have this done anyways.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #13
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Right, but the engine still will be making more power at any given throttle angle with colder, denser air vs. hot air.
True and that's the proverbial "improved throttle response" which many air intake systems claim to produce.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #14
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

the reason your gas mileage gos down when its cold is because you let your vehicle swit and warm up, i know the 5.2 suck gas on idle
Unread 10-12-2009, 02:57 AM   #15
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
Let's find out how the Canadians feel about this.

Hunter
Haha ok, I am a canadian, the power & mpg does go up with the cold winter air, but at the same time there is more parasitic power loss in the drive train due to colder thicker gear oils and grease and such. and other electrical losses and engine load not present in the warmth. so the in fall between the 130+ to the -0, there is an increase in power and milage. i do think cold air makes a difference though, because i had an open k&n, that i wanted to make a heat shield for, so i used cardboard to get it right, then i am getting a sheet metal shop here to bend one for me out of SS, but i thought i could just duct tape the cardboard in place while i was waiting for it, and my "mpg-o-meter" went up 1.5, not sure how accurate is is but good enough for me.
ZJ5point2GCL is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.