coil springs question 2000 grand cherokee laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > coil springs question 2000 grand cherokee laredo

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
tommybear67

coil springs question 2000 grand cherokee laredo

I have a 2000 Grandcherokee laredo 150,000 miles on it. I have rebuilt the front end and have installed bilstein shocks on all 4 corners.It rides o on kumho 245 75 16 tires Now Since this is an everyday driver and basically the primary vehicle.How can i make this ride alot smoother. Can i put a softer spring in this or would it be very bouncy.My wife keeps saying that the truck is riding terrable.I do not know . I am a car guy not a truck guy. Back in the day i used to build my own cars for street racing . So it is diffrent. As an older man I would like to also have the ride a little smoother for the long trips i woudl take out of state. The truck never goes off road. strictley highway.Any suggestion would work for me.Also im thinking that maybe the original springs are just shot and by replacing them i would have a better ride accompanying the bilstein shocks.Now also I was thinking if the shocks are new and the springs are worn than this would cause the shocks to wear out quicker.
I do not know to much about this truck but way the truck is sitting i beleive the springs are weak.The front is lower than the back like a wedge.Not severley but a good 2 inches lower. The truck is fully loaded and has a 6 cylinder and push bar I dont believe that the push bar is that heavy and would cause it to lower that much.
any suggestions thanks guys. This site is a real gem lots of information and ideas from all of you...oh and what type of springs should i use. Should the truck sit level from front to back or is it supposed to be lower in the front. thanks guys

tommybear67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Springs arent "worn out" until they are sagging so much that it looks like you lowered your jeep. Arent the Bilstein shocks on the firmer side? I forget. Sounds like you need a different vendor.

The front of the Jeep sits about 1" lower from the factory. This is called a "rake" and is for aerodynamic and handling purposes.

Get the MX6 shocks!!
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Redbob
2004 WJ 

The weight of the pushbar is multiplied by the distance it sits out from the front axle, so it's "effective weight" is significantly greater.
Say for example the axles on the WJ are 9' apart, and the pushbar weighs 50 lbs (I'm just making up numbers here, so I don't need to hear that the WJ wheelbase is, say, 105.9").
Now suppose the pushbar hangs 3' in front of the front axle centerline: then it would compress the front springs as much as a weight of 50 X (12/9) = 67 lbs
So this could be a part of the reason the frontend sits low.
But it's not why you've got a crummy ride. The springs could be bottoming out, which makes for a very harsh ride. Or those Kumho tires could be worse for ride than some other tires - there can be huge differences between tires. Or you could simply have them over-inflated: try dialing the pressure back to maybe 28 psi, see what your wife thinks of that?

Or she could simply be a princess, and this is what happens when commoners consort with princesses!
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Your new shocks are most likely your culprit. Springs don't get harder over time! How did you choose the Bilsteins? If you chose them for "performance," then as you know from your road racing days, there's a good chance your vendor sold you stiffer shocks than you need for a "comfort" ride. Consider adjustable shocks, and set them as loose as you can stand!

Also, a small Budget Boost will make a big difference if your axles are hitting the bumpstops frequently. Have your bumpstops been keeping part of the axle clean, even polished? If so, the axles are hitting the stops a lot - which is OFTEN the case for a perfectly good OEM suspension! If you lift the truck 1" or so using a BB, without adjusting the bumpstops, you'll have a smoother ride because the axles will need to travel that much further before contacting the bumpstops. Look for that clean/polished area - I bet they're there!
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

For better highway manners I upgraded the rear sway bar. High speed maneuvers on the highway don't make the rear end drift out any longer. I got mine with greasable bushings from Kolak.

With your background, just looking at the pencil thin rear sway will tell you it's a no-brainer upgrade to the nearly 1" thick bar that Kolak will offer.

It may not help soften the ride as much as the above responses, but it will sure feel more "planted" and secured to the road, will less body roll.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
JMOSS
1999 WJ 

I have installed OLD MAN EMU springs, front light duty, rear medium duty and the difference is about 1.3-1.4 inches....Is it too much? Obivously rear hieher then front
99 WJ 4.7V8 Limited QTII , LPG system, 180 Tstat, Magnaflow cat, Up country coil springs, Procomp MX6 shocks absorber, ADDCO swaybars & gresonable bushings, General Grabber AT2 tires, Usa spec pa-chr11 Ipod interface.
JMOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
tommybear67

Thanks for your answeres. I will look into this. I had searched the forum when i first heard of this site and someone said use bilstein shocks they make the truck ride really good. I I know that bilsteins are good for road cards But was not sure about trucks. Im a car guy so Even though we owned this truck for 4 years i did not have to do anything to it . I only rebuilt the front end and the usual oil change barakes and thats it. Know i have to pull the dash because the heater core is leaking also the evaporator is leaking also.I should change this to another thread but should i pull the heater core, evaporator and change out the heater box that usually breaks and the fresh air intake box. I was thinking while its apart even if it is not broken. I know by reading these threads that they will eventually go. The passenger side ac vents blow but not as strong as the drivers side and the center ones. What do you think. This is a 1.5 day job right.? any suggestions on makeing this a faster replacement thanks you guys know your stuff. I feel like a teenage working on their first car whaen it comes to this truck. Even though i used to build my cars for drag street racing. . what are the shock model numbers so that i can order thoes. thanks again
tommybear67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.