Coil spring isolator question! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coil spring isolator question!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 07-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Coil spring isolator question!

So I'm installing a 2" BB soon and I ordered two different isolators (NOT spacer) the fronts are MOOG from RockAuto and I got the rears from IRO. The thing is, the MOOG ones are 4" in diameter and the IRO ones are around 3.75" diameter. If you place the two on a spacer, the MOOG one fully covers the spacer when the IRO one doesn't. Eyeballing it, it doesn't look like the IRO ones would fit.

I just want to know if this is a big issue or not? Should I just order 2 more MOOG isolators and throw them on the rear? I only have 3 days before the lift starts.

Side note, the spacers are from RE, all 4 of them are completely round. The front isolators are round, the rears are D shaped.

ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
BrandonsZJ
1998 ZJ 

I have used the IRO coil spring isolates on my 2" bb and they are factory replacements. I bought the front and back from them and they do work. You are correct the fronts are round and the rears are d-shaped. I put the isolators on first and then the 2" spacers.
BrandonsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Ok that gives me more confidence but why would the 2" spacer be a bigger diameter than the isolator?
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
BrandonsZJ
1998 ZJ 

I'm really not sure if it was bigger or not. I think it might have been actually. I don't know why it is bigger, maybe to give it more strength.
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
BrandonsZJ
1998 ZJ 

I just checked and my front isolators and 2" bb are pretty dam close to being the same size.
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Mine isolators are 0.25" smaller than the spacer in the rear. Hope these work. Thanks for the replies! Now I gotta figure out how I'm going to pound my 2" exhaust extension in the isolator haha.
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
BrandonsZJ
1998 ZJ 

It should work though. I didn't even install extensions.
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Yea I'd rather do extensions to be safe than sorry
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

If my isolators are worn should I replace them?
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
If my isolators are worn should I replace them?
Honestly I would...Mine are so bad that the rubber is all torn up and the metal plate inside its exposed and rusted to heck. Just poking at it made chunks fall off I live in Wisconsin so it sees salt.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.