Coil spring isolator question! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coil spring isolator question!

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 07-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Coil spring isolator question!

So I'm installing a 2" BB soon and I ordered two different isolators (NOT spacer) the fronts are MOOG from RockAuto and I got the rears from IRO. The thing is, the MOOG ones are 4" in diameter and the IRO ones are around 3.75" diameter. If you place the two on a spacer, the MOOG one fully covers the spacer when the IRO one doesn't. Eyeballing it, it doesn't look like the IRO ones would fit.

I just want to know if this is a big issue or not? Should I just order 2 more MOOG isolators and throw them on the rear? I only have 3 days before the lift starts.

Side note, the spacers are from RE, all 4 of them are completely round. The front isolators are round, the rears are D shaped.

ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
BrandonsZJ
1998 ZJ 

I have used the IRO coil spring isolates on my 2" bb and they are factory replacements. I bought the front and back from them and they do work. You are correct the fronts are round and the rears are d-shaped. I put the isolators on first and then the 2" spacers.
BrandonsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Ok that gives me more confidence but why would the 2" spacer be a bigger diameter than the isolator?
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
BrandonsZJ
1998 ZJ 

I'm really not sure if it was bigger or not. I think it might have been actually. I don't know why it is bigger, maybe to give it more strength.
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
BrandonsZJ
1998 ZJ 

I just checked and my front isolators and 2" bb are pretty dam close to being the same size.
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Mine isolators are 0.25" smaller than the spacer in the rear. Hope these work. Thanks for the replies! Now I gotta figure out how I'm going to pound my 2" exhaust extension in the isolator haha.
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
BrandonsZJ
1998 ZJ 

It should work though. I didn't even install extensions.
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Yea I'd rather do extensions to be safe than sorry
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

If my isolators are worn should I replace them?
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
If my isolators are worn should I replace them?
Honestly I would...Mine are so bad that the rubber is all torn up and the metal plate inside its exposed and rusted to heck. Just poking at it made chunks fall off I live in Wisconsin so it sees salt.

Tags
budget boost , coil spring , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.