Coil Spacer question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coil Spacer question?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
peicherokee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Coil Spacer question?

Can anyone tell me how these work, I have been told that they wind into the coils some how but am not sure.

PEI JEEPERS MEMBER
peicherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

No, they just sit inbetween the coil and the coil bucket. Same result as putting in a 2" taller spring.

Look online for a picture of one. Looks like a giant hockey puck with a hole in the middle.

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
peicherokee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yeh that is how the normal ones go in but these look different with the split in the side and bigger hole in the center?

PEI JEEPERS MEMBER
Unread 09-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
KDog223
2001 WJ 

Winding into the coils sounds like it wouldn't do anything but limit suspension travel. It sure doesn't sound like it would give you any lift that way. The way my spacers worked was they sat on top or under the spring and they didn't have any 'cuts' through them...they were solid all the way around. I'm not sure why yours are split like that??
KDog223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
sandman
1993 ZJ 

is the under side cupped or flat?
Unread 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

If they do actually wind into the coil, they're not really a spacer, just something to combat sag. With that split in them, I would not attempt to run them as a spacer, I would source a spacer specifically meant for the job.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
ghudson434
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
If they do actually wind into the coil, they're not really a spacer, just something to combat sag. With that split in them, I would not attempt to run them as a spacer, I would source a spacer specifically meant for the job.
Thats exactly what they are for. They wind in the spring. I have those and 2 1/2 in spacers on my jeep. Felt like they stiffened up the ride just a little also.
ghudson434 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

x2 ^^ Those are meant to reduce sage but also will stiffen up the ride as it prevents the spring from compressing.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
peicherokee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I agree that it combats sag now that I play it in my head i dont plan on putting them in i didn't pay anything foro them so it dosn't matter.
and yes it is cupped on the other side as well.
stupid useless piece of rubber.
thanks fellas

PEI JEEPERS MEMBER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.