Coil Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coil Problems

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 10-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
93JeepZJ

Coil Problems

Well my jeeps been in and out of the shop 3 times in the last 2 weeks. First time it was the coil, drove for about 20 miles and shut off... ended up being the distributer and coil. Drove it again for about 100miles until it shut off. They called and said it was the coil again. They researched the problem and i guess back in 1993 there was a service bulletin for the coil pack and wiring harness for it.
Next day i get a call and find out that there is only one kit left in the U.S. and its in hawaii and its going to be 3-5 days till they get the part! anyone else run into this coil problem?

93JeepZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
93GrandZJ
1993 ZJ 

you must have an early 93 with the pole type terminals on the coil. the later 93s (like mine) already had the "updated" coil and the harness you are talking about. it runs up to the alternator (i think) and is zip tied off to the alternator.

i have still replaced the "new coil" three or four times in 198+K miles. i can't remember if the harness will "upgrade" you to the newer coil...

Last edited by 93GrandZJ; 10-18-2007 at 01:33 PM..
93GrandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

I went thru several coils at one point. I bolted the first two back to the bracket , with the 3 foot long bolts.... I cussed both times... the third time,well the second coil is still on the jeep. the Third one is ziptied to the old coil... no problems for at least 100,000 miles.
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #4
93GrandZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by driabyor
I bolted the first two back to the bracket , with the 3 foot long bolts....
no kidding, they are long
Unread 10-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
93JeepZJ

i hoping that this will fix the problem and i can drive it for more then a day! i miss my jeep and i need to get it home so i can get some new tires on it before winter. all together with towing and repair bills this has cost me over $500 and its not fixed yet
Unread 10-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
93GrandZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JeepZJ
drove for about 20 miles and shut off... ended up being the distributer and coil. Drove it again for about 100miles until it shut off. They called and said it was the coil again.
on mine when the coil(s) went it did not just shut off. it would sputter and spit and miss and eventually stall. you could get it started again, but it would do the same thing. if you did not keep on the gas it would stall.

sure it's the coil?

Last edited by 93GrandZJ; 10-18-2007 at 02:46 PM..
Unread 10-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
93JeepZJ

ya every time they replace it, it runs fine. the times it went out it would backfire and shut off then wouldnt start. i wish it would just spit and sputter... then i could get it home and fix it myself instead of paying $$$$ for repair bills at a shop
Unread 10-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

this is why i love the MSD coil i put on my 93 ( built in 92 )
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.