Coil Gone Bad? Please help ASAP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coil Gone Bad? Please help ASAP!!!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Gizimomo86
1995 ZJ 

Coil Gone Bad? Please help ASAP!!!

Ok - so wednesday night I parked my Jeep - no lights were on, nothing. Turned my Jeep off, and locked the doors and headed in for the night. I came back out thursday morning, got in, turned on my Jeep - the damn thing wont start!!! it will turn over, but wont start! My dad thought it was the coil - ok - got that replaced, since the wire that hooks into the coil still has charge or whatever going through it. That didnt work. I replaced the distributer, again, nothing. So my friend came over last night *friday night* to take a look at it as well *ended up replacing the spark plugs for the fun of it, even though that wasnt the problem* And again - nothing. Aside from it being probably an electrical problem - could the coil be a dud? The spark plugs wont spark - but the wire that connects to the coil *from behind* still has its charge, like its working - what are your thoughts? Please Help ASAP!!! This is my only running *well sitting now* vehicle!
~Beth

*1995 Grand Cherokee 6cylinder 4.0liter

Gizimomo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
matts98ZJ

two things it could be is the crank sensor witch in on bell housing of trans or cam sensor it is in the dist under rotor butten in housing its easy to change. try cam sen first
matts98ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

You can measure the resistance of the Input (primary) and Output (secondary)

1.1 ohms here

12,160 ohms here

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I would remove the coil wire at the center post of the distributor, and hold it away from ground (the cylinder head) and see if it sparks.

If the resistance checks are fine and no spark then that would most likely point to the CPS.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 08-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
Gizimomo86
1995 ZJ 

So the 2nd picture is what it should look like? My friend is going to scan my computer anways *hopefully on monday* and if theres nothing wrong with the computer, then we will re-try the coil. Im almost thinking my old coil was fine to begin with - I will have him test it, thank you!!! and I will also have him check the sencors, thanks again guys!!!
~Beth
Unread 08-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Look at the multimeter leads. They are in different positions for each pic. Both values need to be in spec

Unread 08-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizimomo86
So the 2nd picture is what it should look like? My friend is going to scan my computer anways *hopefully on monday* and if theres nothing wrong with the computer, then we will re-try the coil. Im almost thinking my old coil was fine to begin with - I will have him test it, thank you!!! and I will also have him check the sencors, thanks again guys!!!
~Beth

Have you checked for codes yourself yet? key on/off three times and count the flashes..

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
jeep946

i am going to say it is the crank position sensor as well. the coil wire will have 12 volts to it with the key on. the pcm controls the ground wire and completes the ground when it is time for a spark.
94 Grand Cherokee, 4.6 stroker, 7 inch custom long arm kit, 33x12.50x15 Firestone destinations m/ts, flow-master 40 series, magnaflow high flow cat, locked front and rear, super axle kits front and rear, pioneer head unit, CB on channel 10, and a B&M built transmission, switched from a 231 to a 242, 2000 Grand Cherokee steering and knuckles and brakes, no abs, wildwood adjustable proportioning valve, and lots more
jeep946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Gizimomo86
1995 ZJ 

thanks everyone for your help - my friend will also check *probably for the fun of it* the relay's and see if he can find anything. This is just so random that this happened! I miss driving my warthog!!!
~Beth

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.