Code P1494 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Code P1494

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-22-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
PAPA1

Code P1494

My 1999 Grand Cherokee check engine light came on indicating code P1494...dealer told me it was a vacum leak detection pump and repair cost would be $350.00...

Has anyone else had this problem, and where is this pump located on the vehicle?

Thanks for the information. PAPA1

PAPA1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
HawkeyeWJ

Here's a link to fault codes for your WJ from wjjeeps.com. I have not had to mess with that particular repair yet. (thankfully)

http://wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

looks like the description is:

P1494 (M)
Leak Detection Pump Sw or Mechanical Fault
Incorrect input state detected for the Leak Detection Pump (LDP) pressure switch.

Good luck!

2002 WJ 4.7 Limited
Onyx Green Pearl
HawkeyeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ighlight=P1494
Unread 11-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...Detection+Pump
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Scottj01

This check engine light on my 99 JGC 4.0 came on after brake lines were replaced by Midas - code was p1494, an indication of a fault in the leak detection system-- turned out to be a disconnected vacuum hose from pump to engine at the engine side --- easiest fix so far on this jeep - and free.
Scottj01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Dalair

Im having the same problem with my jeep grand cherokee limited.
its a 2000.

I actually had the Leak detection pump replaced last week.
I saw the new one that they put in and noticed the box did not have any extra hoses. So I assume the same hoses are going into the new one.

I shelled out around 370 for that and some other minor repairs.
So i now believe it may be a faulty hose.
* I wanna look at it myself, Ive never done anything besides tire and oil stuff on a car.But Im pretty good with minor repairs.
?
How can I get access to the LDP.?. It looks like its behind the driver side headlamp and in fron to the airbox.
But I cant reach it because the airbox is in the way.
Can someone help me out on how I can get a good look at the LDP myself and tell if there is a faulty hose?
Are there any other possible solutions to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance
Dalair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
AJ90Laredo

Resurecting an old post for the same P1494 code. Vehicle is a 1998 ZJ GC (4.0L). Thanks to previous posters for some good info.
This gets a little complicated so bear with me please...

I have just completed several repairs:
  • Replaced the PCM due to the infamous random stalling problem.
  • Replaced the backup light/shift lock-out switch (backup lights were not working)
  • While replacing the above switch I noticed the vacuum line from the LDP system was separated at a rubber coupling under the body midway to the gas tank. So I repaired that.
Now I have developed two issues that I suspect are connected somehow.
  • The P1494 code. I have reset the code but it comes back.
  • I cannot fill the gas tank without the pump shutting off. If I rotate the pump handle so it's upside-down it seems to fill OK.
So I am about to dive into this issue and will be checking both ends of the car (LDP/EVAP system & fuel filler assembly). But just thought I'd ask for some guidence if anyone has ideas as to if, and/or how, these two issues may be connected.

Is the code a result of a problem at the fuel filler, or is the fueling problem a result of an issue at the LDP/EVAP system?
Is it possible the remanufactered PCM is a factor? The previous unit did not throw a P1494 code, but clearly the previous PCM was not healthy.
Or is it just bad luck and they are not related at all (which with my luck is probably the case!)

Thanks, Andrew
AJ90Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
AJ90Laredo

For future reference:

The good (?) news is the problem was the check valve in the filler tube had broken off. That was causing the fueling problem, and since the LDP system could not pressurize it was throwing the 1494 fault code.

The bad news is the filler neck is NLA and this particular style (plastic check valve with a dual valve) looks to be a one or two year part for the later ZJ's and my local salvage yard didn't have it. So the search is on...
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
AJ90Laredo

It’s not very often I feel the need to do write about a purchase but today’s experience it definitely one of those times.

I was shopping for a replacement filler neck for my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and found the part on the www.fillernecksupply.com web-site. But I was concerned that the part was listed as equal for several part numbers. I called because the LDP fuel system pressure test requires a dual valve check valve in the filler neck and I wanted to be sure this was the correct part.

When I called I spoke to a kid named Dustin and explained my concern, he probably though I was nuts at first, but after we discussed the issue he told me that the part they had did not have the dual check valve, only the flat metal flapper. I thanked him and continued my search. But…within 10 minutes he called me back. He told me that he checked with the shop and that some of the filler necks were indeed the units with the dual check valve…SOLD ($59.95)!

I should note that the part listed on the website will probably get you the filler neck with the plain flat metal check valve that will not work for XJ's with the Leak Detection Pump system. So call and make sure.

It is rare to find this kind of service these days, especially with so many sales done without any personal interaction over the internet. I just wanted to give credit when it is due, and this was one of those times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.