Code p1391? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Code p1391?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 05-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
JGC4lyfe
1996 ZJ 

Code p1391?

Just took my ZJ over to an auto shop to get the codes tested. It came up as P1391. I have heard many different things as to what this means. The man at the shop said that it could not be the cam shaft or crank shaft because if it was it would have pulled up more codes. Another thing i was told was that it could be something with the distributor cap. But i recently just replaced the distributor cap and the spark plugs. What else could this be? The jeep has been doing this weird thing where it is almost like hoping forward while you drive and when you press the gas hard it backfires and doesn't accelerate that much. Could this be related to the code?

JGC4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

P1391 - Intermittent loss of CMP or CKP

Don't rule out either of those sensors. You can feel around for the CPS wire and see if it's broken, a couple times mine got chewed on by mice, so I could repair the wire instead of getting a whole new CPS. I didn't get any other codes besides 1391 though.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
JGC4lyfe
1996 ZJ 

What is a CPS and where can i find it?
JGC4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

CPS = CKP, crankshaft position sensor.

You will find this sensor on the top/RH side of the trans bell housing where it mounts to the engine. It is basically behind and below the back side of the passenger side valve cover. It kind of sucks to get back there and replace one but with a little patience its not too bad.

jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

I thought cps was cam position sensor, also the halo sensor or distributor pickup, the round black sensor that sits under the rotor inside distributor?
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.