Coat Hanger Mod for Muffler W/PICS!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Coat Hanger Mod for Muffler W/PICS!!!!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 12-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Coat Hanger Mod for Muffler W/PICS!!!!

Well ever since I installed my IRO TC/Cat skid plate I have had the second worst sound in the world echoing throughout my Jeep. It has been my cat rubbing against my skid plate. Turns out the reason is because the exit pipe from my muffler is cracked and is allowing the exhaust to bow down as a result. This is no surprise considering how many times I have beat the living crap out of my muffler & piping.

So what I did was used some coat hanger to help hold it up... Works 95% of the time.

Black is where the exhaust is leaking out:

Coat hanger props into an open hole in the unibody:

Unfortunantly while down there I noticed a puddle under my rear diff Rear pinion seal leak

That sucks. A lot

And for those who say I need to clean my Jeep, even though the ground is still covered in sloppy snow I had it washed for you today

Unread 12-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Ryan same thing happend to me.I ended up grinding a piece of the skid and tighten the bolt to the exhaust,that sucker was finger loose big time.That fixed my problem
rrubio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
nierace
2003 WJ 

Holy #$@! it's shiny!

You still have to do a real waxing, one cleaner coat then one paste wax then it looks so purty and takes out a ton of surface scratches

and lol @ your muffler

And where is the snow board ? what the hell is that skinny thing ?
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Snow boards = ghey. Enough said

Besides coming from someone on the east coast where all you have is ice, you should appreciate the extra edge a ski offers on ice to keep in control
Unread 12-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #5
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep

Besides coming from someone on the east coast where all you have is ice, you should appreciate the extra edge a ski offers on ice to keep in control
im ordering the ski rack sometime soon, think im goin with yakima, and i just had the pinion seal fixed on my WJ. it was 90 bucks at a local jeep dealer.
Unread 12-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
rrubio
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug445
im ordering the ski rack sometime soon, think im goin with yakima, and i just had the pinion seal fixed on my WJ. it was 90 bucks at a local jeep dealer.
What the he** does this have to do with his coat hager
rrubio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
nierace
2003 WJ 

Quote:

After so many years with that extra edge it just got too easy, the board is a bit more challenging and I prefer it.

Only skiing is for SKIrts.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
RobertTF
2001 WJ 

Quote:

Ice sucks anyway. I love the deep fluffy stuff!
Unread 12-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrubio
What the he** does this have to do with his coat hager

i dunno. i saw the ski rack in the picture and then my mind was on that immeadiately. i did contribute somthing halfway useful, what it cost to get my pinion seal fixed.
Unread 12-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #10
sailingnut

ArloGuthroJeep

I see you opted for the TV side of your Jeep j/k

for those that don't know, the other side has some 4 Wheelin' character
My first jeep
thanks Jim ;)

Colorado Jeep Club Member
sailingnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2006, 09:34 AM   #11
Redbob
2004 WJ 

Quote:
And for those who say I need to clean my Jeep, even though the ground is still covered in sloppy snow I had it washed for you today
OK, when are you gonna put up panelling in that garage?
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #12
///BHRpowered

Maybe it was the rock that put that HUGE dent in your muffler.

Jeep looks cleaner, could use a nice claybarring and thick coat of wax

Just wondering, but how expensive/hard is it to replace those pinion seals. I know its leaking from the TC to the driveshaft, and I think it may be leaking going into the Diff, but that has yet to be confirmed

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2370949]2000 Millenia S...Five figure spending account[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2384051]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee...Gone but never forgotton[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2383985]2003 BMW M3 SMG...For Sale, PM if interested[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2484240]2000 "Jeep Grand Cherokee...4.7, Quadra-Drive, Loaded.[/url]
"A dark and bitter chill fills the air. once thriving life wallows away into ash as he slithers past, the very stars themselfs part to make way for his haunting, yet oddly claim arrival. Bhr approaches." - Hatter

"But i have to say, BHR's rants go hand in hand with moring coffee to get my day started - RXL"

Admin - [url]http://www.mazdaworld.net[/url]
///BHRpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I hear the dealership did it for someone for $90...I think I'll give it a shot later this week if the dealership denies me service. I think the pinion seal is probably around $30 (complete guess)...
Unread 12-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #14
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

Quote:
I hear the dealership did it for someone for $90...I think I'll give it a shot later this week if the dealership denies me service. I think the pinion seal is probably around $30 (complete guess)...
$91 after tax at one jeep dealer....another local dealer wanted over 200. the pinion seal itself was like $18 and the labor was $65.
Unread 12-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #15
///BHRpowered

but is that for the seal from the TC to the shaft, or the shaft to the diff?? cause mine only leaks at the TC.

I still need to go in and get my fan recall done, guess ill ask then.

I have skis and snowboards, I perfer snowboarding, but there are certain mountains where skis are just a smarter choice

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2370949]2000 Millenia S...Five figure spending account[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2384051]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee...Gone but never forgotton[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2383985]2003 BMW M3 SMG...For Sale, PM if interested[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2484240]2000 "Jeep Grand Cherokee...4.7, Quadra-Drive, Loaded.[/url]
"A dark and bitter chill fills the air. once thriving life wallows away into ash as he slithers past, the very stars themselfs part to make way for his haunting, yet oddly claim arrival. Bhr approaches." - Hatter

"But i have to say, BHR's rants go hand in hand with moring coffee to get my day started - RXL"

Admin - [url]http://www.mazdaworld.net[/url]
///BHRpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.