Clunks when turning, interesting solution. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Clunks when turning, interesting solution.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Clunks when turning, interesting solution.

So for several months now, I've been getting a clunking sound and feel every time I turn with any momentum, in a new direction. Something was obviously being moved back and forth. First mechanic told me it was the ball joints, so I got those replaced, not the problem. Then another mechanic said it was bad control arm bushings. After doing some reading here, I figured it was bad track bar bushings and the bolt hole starting to oval out, so I've just been living with it till I lift and replace my track bar and get some washers welded up. Fast forward like 7 months.

I'm under the Jeep today just looking at stuff (am I the only one who does this when I'm not looking for anything specific?) and I finally notice the culprit. The nut on the bolt that holds the trans and the trans mount together had backed almost completely off. My entire transmission/transfer case/drive shafts had been shifting back and forth on every turn by nearly an inch. I tightened the hell out of that nut and bolt and took it for a drive. No more clunks.

The track bar seems like the obvious culprit for this problem, but it is well worth glancing down at that trans mount just in case.

2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Inavacuum

wow, that is scary. That is why every time I get home from wheeling or a long trip I do just what you said and just lay on a creeper and look at stuff.
Make an offer on anything you're interested in.
Inavacuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
iowaboostin
1995 ZJ 

Damn, same thing happened with an old Mitsubishi Eclipse of mine. The transmission almost literally "dropped."

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.