Clunking sound from front end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Clunking sound from front end

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 07-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
kmo0189
2000 WJ 

Clunking sound from front end

I have a 2000 wj and recently when turning left I hear a clunking/popping sound coming from the front end. Only when turning left though. I tried to locate where it was coming from and it looks like maybe the drag link. I am not sure if the drag link is supposed to be loose, but mine is a little loose. I've been reading up on it and it looks like maybe the drag link ends need replacing. Does this sound like the problem? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

kmo0189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
bigzj
1995 ZJ 

Mine makes a similar sound only when i turn left. Mine is caused because i put BFG 30/9.5 A/T's without a lift, so im rubbing my tread against my wheel well.
bigzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
cloiselle
2001 WJ 

check your rear a arm bushings and you rrear control arm bushings.

also check your shock mount bolts, for looseness or play .
cloiselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
cloiselle
2001 WJ 

pm me for any other question i'd be glad to help. mine clunked in the rear for a while all new bushings ( control arms, a arm and sway bar bushings solved the problem )

i did once get gravel in my e brake which took ages to figure out the source of the sound :/ that was not cool !
cloiselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 01:52 AM   #5
sandman
1993 ZJ 

when i get a clunking i get under my jeep with a breaker bar and make sure everything is tight. most of the time i find something loose and fix my clunk.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.