Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Clunk into reverse gear.

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  blendedej8 
#1 ·
I searched for a few threads about this issue, and landed on a thread with a ZJ, but everyone had different answers. I'm going to a tranny shop tomorrow, and would like to have an idea of what I am looking at as far as repairs go.

When I was on my way to work, I stopped at the store to get some food for later, and when I got back out to my baby, I started it up, and went to reverse out of my parking spot. When I shifted into reverse, I heard/felt a very mechanical CLUNK in the center where the shift lever is, companied by a bit of a bucking from the vehicle itself. And when I was leaving work, there was nothing. It was very smooth.

So I am a little confused here. Maybe it was just hot? I would like everyones input here. I would deeply appreciate it. I've only had the thing 2 weeks to the day.

#4 ·
I too have this and have not been able to track it down. I have eliminated a few potential causes also, Its not my t case chain i changed fluid and adjusted the frt and rear bands. Mine stumbles some times too like the torque converter lock up is not functioning properly. ive wondered if its all due to a bad torque converter lockup solenoid. im interested to see what people say.

#9 ·
mine whines in reverse when its not up to temp
i always figured it had to do with removing the checkvavle that burned up my first 2 trannys
or maybe needs a band adjustment

#10 ·
My 93 ZJ used to clunk sumpthin' fierce when going into reverse or back to drive from reverse. Last year, I pulled the pan, changed the pan gasket and filter, and refilled the trans with Dex 6 trans fluid. Believe it or not, this pretty much fixed the clunk issue. It still does it just a wee bit but nothing like it used to.

#11 ·
Yeah, mine clunked for 16 years going into reverse. I thought that was a Jeep quirk.

Hunter

#16 ·
Subscribed for future updates. mine does this also. its more of a *tink* than a clunk, but always into reverse and sometimes it does it quietly into drive. i'm going to use the buddy method tomorrow and see what i can find out... hopefully wont end up with a ZJ on my chest. i'll grab some pictures or audio files for comparison.

#17 ·
I'll update this for you. My transmission started slipping, and neutralizing in 3rd. So I took it to the transmission shop, and it needed rebuilt. So I went ahead and let them do it, and $1075 later....no clunk or neutralizing/slipping. Your problem might be different than mine. I hope it is.

EDIT: The clunking got worse in the time leading up to the rebuild. But my Jeep would also "buck" a bit when shifting gears until warmed up. I had adjusted the TV cable and this made the shifts smooooooooooooooth. And about two weeks after that it started to neutralize into third and slip.

#19 ·
If it 'neutralized' in third, you may have had the defective drum/seals issue that causes them not to shift to 3rd when cold. If you adjusted the TV cable for soft shifts it may have made it more likely to slip...

#18 ·
Chrysler Torqueflites have been clunking into reverse for at least 50 years, but there is a normal clunk and there are abnormal clunks, if you are noticing it now then there is probably wear somewhere, could be the front or rear ujoint on the rear shaft, the ring and pinion, etc. The buzz/whine in reverse has nothing to do with the the check valve, its an aluminum regulator valve that is too light and resonates when the fluid is cold, there was a TSB on that years ago to change it to a steel one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.