Climate control knob shaft or what?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Climate control knob shaft or what??

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
diamondflaw
1993 ZJ 

Climate control knob shaft or what??

I have searched all over and couldn't find another thread for this, though I thought it would be a commonish problem. The center knob on my climate control (93 L6 Laredo) which selects which vents the air goes to has stripped off the little shaft it turns. The knob itself is worn a bit, but the real problem is that the plastic shaft it sits on has gone from being shaped sorta like a "D" to like an "O"...

I assume this shaft is somehow replaceable, but I don't even know what to really call it to look for one. Also, while turning the shaft manually (with pliers) does work properly, it is crazy stiff. I checked and the other shafts behind temp knob and fan speed knob can be turned by hand, but not so with this so I'm thinking that's why it stripped out.

I am reasonably proficient mechanically and electrically, but having just gotten this jeep I'm not super familiar with how to go about pulling apart the bezel and digging into this thing, or if that's even a good idea.

Any advice would be awesome, thanks!

diamondflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Try tearing it apart or maybe spray some PB Blaster or other contact cleaner on it. Maybe super glue the knob back on if you can get it to loosen up? Worse thing that could happen is it don't work and you have to get a new one from a junkyard. Might have to do that anyway.
MyKeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
diamondflaw
1993 ZJ 

Yeah, I'm going to be needing to pull that area apart soon anyways since I want to replace the stock tape deck so I may put it off until then... and was kinda thinking of just 5-min epoxying the knob back on, but I didn't know if that little spindle/shaft thingy was a (cheap) replaceable part that I would be making harder to replace by gluing the knob on, possibly leading to replacing a larger (expensive) part. One of the things that made me hopeful that the shaft on its own was a replaceable part is that none of the three shafts that are behind the knobs match, the other two working ones are made out of fiberglass (fan speed one) and metal (temperature control one) while the one that stripped out is cheapish plastic.
diamondflaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.