Clicking when turning & braking, front end vibrations, CV Axle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Clicking when turning & braking, front end vibrations, CV Axle?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
chaser12
1995 ZJ 

Clicking when turning & braking, front end vibrations, CV Axle?

A month ago or so, the clicking noise started. I would notice it when I was braking or turning. It steadily got worse, to the point that I couldn't drive it, the front end was vibrating at 35+ like crazy, so I did some heavy reading and found that most likely the CV axles needing replacement. So this morning I look and sure enough, the driver side front axle boot is ripped in two, also note the passenger front looked fine, actually more than fine, boot was in great condition. Perfect, I know exactly what I need to do. I can fix it and be done.

I spent the afternoon replacing the driver side axle, not any problems. I take it out for a test drive. The problem is still there, and pretty much just as bad too. So now I'm frustrated. I realize that the axle need replacement anyways as the boot was torn, but it didnt solve my problem. And the passenger's side visual checks out fine, especially the boot.

Should I still replace the passenger side CV axle? Is it possible that even though it passes a visual inspection it's still the problem causer? Is there any other advice any has to possibly help diagnose what the problem is? For further reference, the transfer case (249) is going on it and will need to be replaced soon. Is it possible its related to that? It's been leaking a good bit recently it seems, though I keep the case full. Thanks for any helps guys.

chaser12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
hayes429
1997 ZJ 

Might consider the viscus coupler, they make turning real weird when they fail.
hayes429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

Can you be any more specific about the noise and/or vibration? Does it feel like it is coming from one side or the other? Does it start out as a general steering vibration, then develop into "OMG my wheels are gonna come off!"

When you did your visual inspection, did you play with the steering components? Did you jack up the front end and check for play in the wheels?

Just trying to think of other things you can check to help narrow down issues, or find something that might get someone's light bulb go off.
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
chaser12
1995 ZJ 

Ok. I have made some progress, I (very carefully!) got next to the vehicle while my wife turned tight corners and I listened for the clicking, sounded like the front axle. Turns out its a cv style front axle. That's adding up.... Took it off and drove it around the block and she drove like a champ! So I'm headed to a junkyard today (ps how hard is it get the pinion yoke if I want to swap in a u joint DS??)

I'm hoping that also solves my vibration problem, however, I did notice a little movement and give in the tie rod end at the pitman arm, on the drag link. Could that cause vibration?
chaser12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle , boot , clicking , shaking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.