Clicking noise while braking ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Clicking noise while braking ???

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-01-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
spot

Clicking noise while braking ???

My 2000 grand cherokee makes this clicking noise on the driver side rear brake.

It happens at the beggining of the the braking, once I press hard it goes away. I took it to the dealership, they said it was dry slide pins...they lubed them up (charged me $150...buggers!), the sound went away and it came back 3 days later.

I've replaced the rotor and the caliper but the sound keeps coming back...I greased up the pins again (myself this time) and the clicking goes away for a few days and then returns.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this (warped axle, hub bearings, ???)? I'm tired of dumping good money after bad on the piece of crap car of mine!

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
Silver yj

Im not sure of the setup on your jeep but do the pads set on thin metal clips? If so there is a good chance that the noise you hear is the pad jumping cause the clips are wore and need replaced, although for the year of it that would be strange but is a good possibility. Are they factory pads?
Silver yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2005, 05:34 PM   #3
spot

Brake clicking

The pads have been replaced TWICE...and they're the chrysler pads. One pad clicks into the piston side of the caliper and the other floats...It seams like every mechanic we've taken it to takes a guess and has us replace yet another part...so far we've replaced the pads, caliper, and rotors...what's left?????

When I grease the caliper pins, the probem goes away and then 3 days later it's back! I'm going nuts!!
Unread 12-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

When you grease the caliper pens you are pulling the pads, have you used the glue on the back of the pads to keep them in place? Are you allowing it to properly set before use? it sounds like the pad is moving when you apply the brake.

Also, you need to check the e - brake unde the rotors. Are they ok?
3 Previous Jeeps - 01 WJ Ltd, QD & UC - 01 WJ Ltd, QT II - 98 XJ Ltd
Airborne Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If you grease the slide pins and the noise goes away, then you know the area where your problem is. Either the mounting bolts that go thru the sliders, the sliders, or both are worn. When you replaced the calipers, I assume they come with new mounting bolts & sliders?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
spot

The bolts are new...as is everything else!

Airborn Lee: I think you might be onto to something...

The inner pad clips into the caliper, the outer pad just floats...

I didn't put the pads in myself...I'm new at this so bear with me...what kind of glue to i need to use? does it go on the back of both pads?

What's this about the emergency brake?? What should I be looking for?
Unread 12-05-2005, 10:03 AM   #7
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sorry, I almost missed your reply.

Any parts store will know. Usually always right next the the caliper lube. It is called Disk Brake Quite. VERY cheep and important. It keeps the pads from riding on the rotor when not using the brakes. It is a glue.

The trick is to apply to the back of the pad when putting back together. My "technique" is to put the glue onto the back of the pad only where the caliper toughes the pad. Press the caliper open JUST far enough to slip the pads over the rotor so the caliper holds the pads in place snugly. You don't want to have the glue in there and dry with space between the pad and caliper.

I have also after reassembly before tires, pressed the brake peddel to clamp the pad and caliper to hold in place. Then LEAVE it to dry.

THIS IS KEY, YOU MUST LET IT TOTALY DRY BEFORE DRIVING OTHERWISE YOU MESS UP THE HOLD.

Also, be very careful to NOT get any on the rotors or the face of of the pad. This is very bad also.

Good luck.
Unread 12-05-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
RIJEEP26

Your hub bearings could be dried up - sometimes it clicks or squeals when they dry up - and unfortunately it is one unit (the hub) and cannot be opened to manually lube the bearings - meaning you have to buy a whole new hub....just a thought - something to look into...its hard to diagnose with this because it only happens when you are driving, and you can olny hear it when you are slowing down usually....
Unread 12-05-2005, 01:22 PM   #9
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

This whole glue thing is new to me. The pads are attached to the caliper pistons via a V type spring-clamp on my Jeep. It moves the pads in & out. I guess the glue can stop them from chattering?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2005, 08:52 AM   #10
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Put it where the caliper presses on the pad.
Unread 12-31-2005, 07:24 AM   #11
spot

No luck with Glue on Caliper

I tried the Disk Brake Quiet glue but no luck. When I grease the pins, it works a few hours and starts again.

It makes the "click" sound once in each tire rotation at the same spot in the rotation. It sounds like to pieces of metal hiting eachother at slow speeds, and like a chirping sound at higher speeds. I only hear it when I press the brakes. When I let go, it goes away.

Could the "clicking" be loose bearings? I"m running out of ideas. I'm wondering if it's something else behind the rotor, like the parking brake.

Here's what I've done so far:
New Caliper
New Rotor
New Pads
Disk Brake Quiet
Greasing the Pins
Also tried 3 Mechanics (including the dealer)
Unread 12-31-2005, 12:22 PM   #12
nosewitdot

when that happened to me...my caliper was loose...haha...my bad on that tho
nosewitdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #13
Airborne Lee
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sorry it took so long to get back to you I have been traveling, I put about 2500 miles on my red wj.

Your caliper is likely loose. you might try new bolts if you can move it at all.

You need to replace the caliper PINS next. It is rather cheep and not too hard.

Dont for get new greese.
Unread 01-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #14
spot1234

Brake noise...caliper pins are new

The caliper pins are new also...they came with the new caliper I put on last month.

Yesterday I pulled off the roter, cleaned the ebrake pads...they had a ton of grease on them...I also loosened them a bit. My thinking was that perhaps they were getting pushed around by the rotor when braking...no luck though. Maybe I'll try tightening them instead? Who knows...I'm grasping at straws here.

by the way, somebody said it might be a bearing problem. Is there a way to tell? I've heard replacing them is expensive and there's no way I'm putting more money into this piece of crap.
spot1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.