Clicking Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Clicking Noise

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
odidipissuoff
1996 ZJ 

Clicking Noise

Hello fellas,

I have searched and searched and can't seem to find the answers that I believe fit my situation.

I have been experiencing what I would call a clicking sound coming from what I believe is the front right (passenger side) of my ZJ. I previously thought it was the ball joints, so this weekend I changed both the upper and lower ball joints on both sides.

I replaced the CV boot on the driver side, there still seemed to be plenty of grease packed in the CV joint.

After putting it back together and the test drive I am still hearing the clicking noise and still seems to be coming from the passenger side. With the research I have done I have heard that it could be

pinion
axle bearings
CV joint
control arms
linkage bushings

I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and what they did to fix it?

odidipissuoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
roadcruzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by odidipissuoff View Post
Hello fellas,

I have searched and searched and can't seem to find the answers that I believe fit my situation.

I have been experiencing what I would call a clicking sound coming from what I believe is the front right (passenger side) of my ZJ. I previously thought it was the ball joints, so this weekend I changed both the upper and lower ball joints on both sides.

I replaced the CV boot on the driver side, there still seemed to be plenty of grease packed in the CV joint.

After putting it back together and the test drive I am still hearing the clicking noise and still seems to be coming from the passenger side. With the research I have done I have heard that it could be

pinion
axle bearings
CV joint
control arms
linkage bushings

I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and what they did to fix it?
Does the noise get worse when turning? You say you checked the CV for grease but usually clicking noises like that is from a bad axle u joint. Did you check for play in your axle u joints?
roadcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
odidipissuoff
1996 ZJ 

The CV joint I checked was the driver side one, the boot for the passenger side joint looked to be intact and I did not see any grease leakage. So I am unsure as to the exact condition of the CV joint on the passenger side. It does get worse/louder while turning left or going around a left hand curve.

I also have not been able to check the axle U joints either.
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by odidipissuoff View Post
The CV joint I checked was the driver side one, the boot for the passenger side joint looked to be intact and I did not see any grease leakage. So I am unsure as to the exact condition of the CV joint on the passenger side. It does get worse/louder while turning left or going around a left hand curve.

I also have not been able to check the axle U joints either.
If your description of clicking is anything like mine, it's the CV axle. The boot can look fine but that tells you nothing about the condition of the rest of the axle. Especially if it's old and original.

So do you have CV axles or U-joint axles? Or did you mean drive shaft U-joints?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Why did you replace the ball joints? Unless they failed a wiggle test, that was a waist. Sorry. Then you went through the effort to replace the cv boot on the drivers side, but didn't mention the passenger side where the noise was coming from. And the only thing you did was check and see how much grease was inside? That's not even close to a proper test. Sorry again. Is the noise a constant clicking? Or does it click when you make turns? Or is it random clicking. The CV axle only cost 50 bucks. Without knowing the complete problem, I'd say replace it and your problem will go away.
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
odidipissuoff
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis View Post
Why did you replace the ball joints? Unless they failed a wiggle test, that was a waist. Sorry. Then you went through the effort to replace the cv boot on the drivers side, but didn't mention the passenger side where the noise was coming from. And the only thing you did was check and see how much grease was inside? That's not even close to a proper test. Sorry again. Is the noise a constant clicking? Or does it click when you make turns? Or is it random clicking. The CV axle only cost 50 bucks. Without knowing the complete problem, I'd say replace it and your problem will go away.
I have CV axels. Something that might help, when I have the vehicle in reverse (maybe other gears as well) and just idling with my foot on the break I can hear the same clicking noise. Would the CV still make noise without moving?
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

I had the same thing. Turned out to be the sway bar end links. Do you have excessive body roll when turning right?
ROFLwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

No.

Now I'm really confused. Are you sure clicking is the best description of what you're hearing? Without moving, the noise can really only be the motor or exhaust system.
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
odidipissuoff
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
No.

Now I'm really confused. Are you sure clicking is the best description of what you're hearing? Without moving, the noise can really only be the motor or exhaust system.
To be honest clicking is the best I can describe it. It's not the exhaust. It only does the noise while in reverse with the foot on the break, not any of the gear.
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Is it a constant clicking? It might be time for a video, because I have no idea what could be clicking while idling.

The only thing I can think of is the evap solenoid cycling or lifter tick?
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
odidipissuoff
1996 ZJ 

It seems to very with speed & acceleration. I'll take a video tonight or tomorrow
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Is it the exact same clicking sound while driving and when your in reverse with your foot on the brake?

CV axles are the only thing that "click" when they are bad. Otherwise you're looking at the tire rubbing on something.

If something is literally broken in two, it could be hitting against itself or something else?

Post a video, you're killing me.
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
odidipissuoff
1996 ZJ 

It's killing me as well, hearing it while I drive makes my ears want to bleed.
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

Is it possible that it could be an extremely bad motor mount causing the cooling fan to hit the shroud... Or, maybe something rattling against something.... I'd have to rule out the CV due to the absence of the noise when not in motion... I'd get an assistant to hold the brake while in reverse and look up under the front of the Jeep while it's making the noise... Good luck...
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
odidipissuoff
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcii77 View Post
Is it possible that it could be an extremely bad motor mount causing the cooling fan to hit the shroud... Or, maybe something rattling against something.... I'd have to rule out the CV due to the absence of the noise when not in motion... I'd get an assistant to hold the brake while in reverse and look up under the front of the Jeep while it's making the noise... Good luck...
I guess I have a where's Waldo hunt to participate in this weekend, I will keep you informed as to what I find. I tried to take a video, but my phone wouldn't pick the sound up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.