Clear pic of 46RE shift lever? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Clear pic of 46RE shift lever?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 12-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Clear pic of 46RE shift lever?

I'm working on a 5.9 & 46RE swap into a TJ that was formerly a straight shift. The engine donor was a Ram truck with a column operated shift. The TJ is a floor shift. I'm having trouble getting the shift cable in a position to actuate the shift lever on the transmission. I'm looking for a clear picture of the shift lever on the transmission and the cable bracket that bolts to the transmission on a ZJ in hopes that the ZJ piece may solve my issues. I attached an image from a parts catalog to illustrate what's needed. I believe the ZJ has a differently shaped shift lever from the Ram, but don't know for sure, and need a good look at one to see if it may work for my situation. If anyone has a picture, or could point me to one, I would appreciate it.

capture.png  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

think the levers might be different as column/vs floor shift has different throw lengths.
do you have a picture? all the zj shift levers and the trans side mount brackets for the cable are the same iirc.

i think i still have a brand new bracket i bought for my 44re floating around here somewhere.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, thanks, here's what I'm dealing with.

This is the transmission shift lever, and all the other garbage around it. Two things not mentioned earlier: The starter is on the driver side, which is the side pictured. The Jeep 46RE is on the passenger side. Also, I didn't put the exhaust down pipe on until this morning, which creates more issues.

The RED CIRCLE is the mount for the linkage that the column shift uses. The YELLOW CIRCLE is the transmission shift lever. It's currently in park, which is all the way rearward. Moving forward engages the gear ranges in order. The GREEN CIRCLE is roughly where the cable bracket should go.

Here's the TJ cable and transmission side bracket. I'd gladly buy a ZJ cable and bracket if it would work, but the more I look at it, the more I think I'm going to have to make something.

Quote:
Unread 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

yep. the zj bracket is completely different from the dodge. looks very similar to the tj bracket. but i think it's a bit different. i'd have to look again. the shift cable looks like mine did(threw it out a long time back), but i don't think it has the throw to work with the 4spd. i have been wrong before though.

i just found mine while doing a pick up around my garage and it looks like it will probably work with the driver's side starter there. i went with a dodge manual and didn't have to deal with that.

i'd redo the down pipe for clearance personally if it meant i could use an off the shelf cable bracket. getting that position is pretty important.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The TJ bracket laying on the ground in the second pic doesn't mate to the Dodge tranny. It's close, but too short, and mounts the cable too high. Also, the large hole that captures the cable assembly is about where the those two bosses in transmission case are, to the left of the Dodge shifter mount (I don't know what those are or do, transmissions aren't my strong point.).

Can you snap a pic of that 44RE mount? Curious if it would clear those bosses and solve some issues.

I've been dicking around with it a little tonight, the only way I think I can get it to work with the downpipe, cooler lines, etc., as they are currently is if I make an extension that attaches to the shifter lever and basically allows the cable end to mount about 4 inches further back. I'd cut the TJ cable mount bracket and weld it to the Dodge mount. If moving the exhaust was the only issue, I'd get center dump headers and move it, no question. But I've got other issues here too.

Thanks. Appreciate the comments.

Quote:
Unread 12-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Like Rat says, parts list shows same bracket part number for all ZJ's.

46RE

42RE/44RE/44RH

Pic from my 42RE...
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Look at the Shift Lever #11 in the 46RE pic. It points up to where the ZJ bracket (and your TJ bracket) is positioned. Do you have the stock Shift Lever? It points down.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Korea. My transmission is from a Dodge ram, and the shift lever is angled downward slightly. I see the ZJ is different as it is bent so that it is raised.

However, if the ZJ cable mounting bracket is the same as the TJ it won't work because it interferes with the transmission case.

Here's the TJ bracket. Looks alot like your 42RE. Note that the center of the hole were the cable mounts is about center with the flange where it bolts to the transmission:

Here's an overhead shot. The bolt on the right side of the bracket should go in the mounting hole on the transmission. Doing so would make it impossible for the cable to attach. The red arrow is where the shift cable should travel through the mount.

And a side shot. You can see if the mount was moved inwards, away from the camera in this shot, toward the transmission, the shift cable would not clear the raised bosses. Again, red arrow is the way the cable should run.

So all that being said, it looks like your 42RE still raises the point where the cable locks into the bracket. Does your 42RE have those two bosses as well?

Thanks. You guys are awesome.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.