Cleaning my steering wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cleaning my steering wheel

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

Cleaning my steering wheel

1995 GC I was trying to clean my steering wheel and could not get all the "sticky black" off of it. It has been that way since I bought it. It looks like the cover is worn through but there is not an edge for the wrap. You can see the stitching around the inside.

Is the steering cover one thick piece to the metal steering wheel or is it a vinyl cover over some type of padding? Keep cleaning or put an after market steering wrap on it?

johns1mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns1mj View Post
1995 GC I was trying to clean my steering wheel and could not get all the "sticky black" off of it. It has been that way since I bought it. It looks like the cover is worn through but there is not an edge for the wrap. You can see the stitching around the inside.

Is the steering cover one thick piece to the metal steering wheel or is it a vinyl cover over some type of padding? Keep cleaning or put an after market steering wrap on it?
Put a wrap on it and forget about it unless you want to replace the entire wheel.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Its wrapped in leather, under that is a hardend type of foam and then metal. What your doing is wiping off the leather if you use something too harsh that will happen also with age I just replaced mine with one that was not ripped someone wrapped mine in electric tape and covered it with a steering wheel cover. Cover it or go buy a replacement at a junk yard takes only 30 mins to swap even if u don't fully know how to do it its pretty easy.
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Brakeclean will remove the 'sticky black' stuff.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Mine is the same way. I threw a $20 cover on it 4+ years ago, and never looked back.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Brakeclean will remove the 'sticky black' stuff.
The sticky black stuff is the leather breaking down nothing can be done at this point but to replace it.
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebian View Post
Mine is the same way. I threw a $20 cover on it 4+ years ago, and never looked back.
^ This.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Yep, as mentioned above it's leather over moderately dense rubber. I bought one at a junkyard a few weeks ago and carefully cut the leather off and am working on recovering it. I have the new leather cut out but I'm waiting to have the three pieces sewn together so I can stitch it to the wheel.

On mine the finish wore off the leather and it got sticky. I can clean the sticky off but then the leather starts to crumble so it's a choice between sticky and crumbly. At least the sticky is only when it's hot and humid and doesn't stain my hands.
zjosh93 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.