Cleaning the IAC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cleaning the IAC

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Dtperrell
1995 ZJ 

Cleaning the IAC

My 95 zj has had a rough idle ever since i bought it and im finally getting tired of it. Just sitting at a stop you can feel the whole vehicle vibrating viciously. And sometimes when slowing down to a stop the rpms drop below 500 almost stalling the engine. I've heard of cleaning the IAC or replacing it but i have no idea where it is or how im supposed to "clean" a sensor. Any help?

Dtperrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
chich
1995 ZJ 

Type cleaning the IAC in the search this forum on the ZJ main page and there you will find the info.that you are looking for.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I'm picking nits here to avoid confusion, but the IAC is not a sensor. It is a motor and plunger and sends no feedback to the PCM. The PCM tells it what to do, then the engine reacts. When it reacts, other sensors give inputs to the PCM and it bases fuel information and further IAC commands on those inputs.

Now that all of that is out of the way, this thread contains what you need to know
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

The only tricky thing about the IAC is removing it as the screw hole sits kinda flush with the intake manifold, and its a very tricky spot to get to. I suggest cleaning your MAP sensor as well. Google both of them real quick to find out where they are. Both of them have two screws each. Buy a bottle of MAF Sensor cleaner, which is the only cleaner you should use on sensors! Use a really soft rag to wipe it down. If you don't have the little rubber gasket for it use some RTV when putting it back.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.