cleaning fuel tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > cleaning fuel tank

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-31-2004, 11:49 PM   #1
Jose's Limited

cleaning fuel tank

I just changed my fuel pump and it looked like choclate milk was coming out of it so i want to clean out the fuel tank .. anybody ever done this and what is the dificulty and what is the estimated time to remove and install the fuel tank??

Jose's Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2004, 07:37 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

My fuel pump quit this winter, in my 94 ZJ. I had to hacksaw the gas tank hanger bolts off, because NJ spreads a lot of salt on the roads. I paid $ 309 at a local parts store.
1- Hand-pump the gas out of the tank.
2- Jack the rear up a little for better access when dropping the tank
3- Loosen the gas fill & vent line from under the rear driverís side fender.
4- Support bottom of gas tank with another jack
5- Saw off gas tank hanger bolts. I used a hacksaw blade in my hand with a glove. There is no room to saw with the hacksaw blade in its frame/holder. (buy two new bolts first)
6- Remove the three gas lines now, because you do not want any gas vapors while sawing the hanger bolts. Disconnect electrical harness.
7- Drop tank, remove crappy pump & completely wipe in inwards out with several rags & use some gas to clean it even more.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2004, 07:43 AM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Jose,
In order to help you better, we really need to know what year and model of Jeep you have. I suggest you put that information in your sig, that way you won't have to remember to put it in every time you post. It is also a good place to list current and future mods. This helps let folks know what direction you are trying to go with your particular Jeep.

Pretty much the best way to clean your tank is to drain it, then take it off the vehicle, remove the fuel pump and using lots of rags, reach through the hole where the fuel pump goes and wipe the bottom of the tank down. You're going to have to get pretty inventive if you want to reach most of the bottom, though, like taping a ball of rags to a copper tube for example.

HTH
Unread 11-01-2004, 08:17 AM   #4
Jose's Limited

i got a 95 limited grand cherokee... how hard is it???
Unread 11-01-2004, 08:35 AM   #5
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

It's not overly difficult. Like Greasefingers said, the hardest part is getting the hanger bolts off.

It's definitely something you can do yourself, rather than paying the dealership lots of money.

Unread 11-01-2004, 12:32 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Once the fuel pump is removed, you can get your whole forearm inside the tank. The opening is about 8" in diameter, so you wipe wipe & wipe it clean.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.