Chunks in the tranny pan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Chunks in the tranny pan

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
jaytee
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Chunks in the tranny pan

I finally got around to doing the tranny fluid in the '04 WJ 4.0L last weekend. The fluid didn't smell burnt or anything, but at 40K miles I thought it was time. When I dropped the pan, sigh.....there were some chunks in there, brass looking. It wasn't full, but they were there, plenty of them. I wish I had taken a pic. There was also a good amount of silver/grey flakes, much finer than the brass looking ones. I went ahead and installed the new Purolator filter and Mopar ATF+4. I then changed out the transfer case (242) fluid with some new Mopar ATF+4. The T-case fluid was black, something I had never seen before. I attributed it to my wife using the full time mode a fair amount of the time this past winter.

I was expecting a certain amount of silver flakes as normal wear.
I don't know much about the 42 rle trans other than what I have read on the forum and in magazines. I do however have a decent amount of experience with other auto transmissions.

So is it normal for the 42 to puke out some of its innards as it wears? It still drives and shifts great, nice and smooth. It has never been used for towing or anything like that. It is under extended warranty until 100K miles, so I am not too worried, but I want to be prepared for major repairs just the same.

Unread 05-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
I finally got around to doing the tranny fluid in the '04 WJ 4.0L last weekend. The fluid didn't smell burnt or anything, but at 40K miles I thought it was time. When I dropped the pan, sigh.....there were some chunks in there, brass looking. It wasn't full, but they were there, plenty of them. I wish I had taken a pic. There was also a good amount of silver/grey flakes, much finer than the brass looking ones. I went ahead and installed the new Purolator filter and Mopar ATF+4. I then changed out the transfer case (242) fluid with some new Mopar ATF+4. The T-case fluid was black, something I had never seen before. I attributed it to my wife using the full time mode a fair amount of the time this past winter.

I was expecting a certain amount of silver flakes as normal wear.
I don't know much about the 42 rle trans other than what I have read on the forum and in magazines. I do however have a decent amount of experience with other auto transmissions.

So is it normal for the 42 to puke out some of its innards as it wears? It still drives and shifts great, nice and smooth. It has never been used for towing or anything like that. It is under extended warranty until 100K miles, so I am not too worried, but I want to be prepared for major repairs just the same.
when I did mine it had a fair amount of silver gunk on the magnet, and some small brass flecks, nothing huge though, I think this is pretty normal wear material formthe bands and is nothing to be concerned about. I have a 100mile warranty so if it pukes it is covered anyway similar to yours. I also added an external trans cooler and external filter to mine. I swap the filter now every 3 oil changes and top it off with fresh ATF4.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

using a transfer case in 4WD will not turn the fluid black.... or quicker at least
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
jaytee
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I thought that engaging the center diff in a 242 and applying torque to the front would heat up the fluid and cause it to wear more than usual. Anyone else know? I am just asking because the fluid was much darker than I have ever seen from t case ATF. I want to make sure I don't have any issues.
Unread 05-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #5
jaytee
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsconver View Post
when I did mine it had a fair amount of silver gunk on the magnet, and some small brass flecks, nothing huge though, I think this is pretty normal wear material formthe bands and is nothing to be concerned about. I have a 100mile warranty so if it pukes it is covered anyway similar to yours. I also added an external trans cooler and external filter to mine. I swap the filter now every 3 oil changes and top it off with fresh ATF4.
That's good to know, thanks for the info. I am glad I'm not the only one.

What trans cooler/filter setup did you use?
Unread 05-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Are you certain that the old fluid in your 242 was indeed ATF and not 5w30 ?
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
jaytee
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah it had a slight reddish tint to it when you looked up at the light, which I did as soon as I saw it to look for any chunks of stuff. No chunks, just blackness. I also thought that since it was probably the original ATF, it may have worn some of the finish off of the internals. Do any of the internal parts of the 242 come with a dark coating or finish that would wear off into the fluid over time? I 'm not sweating it too much, I will probably drain it out in a couple of months and see what it looks like. I might to the trans again at the same time to re-evaluate the situation, and get some more new fluid in there since in a drain and filter replacement you only get like less than half of the actual fluid, according to wjjeeps.com
Unread 05-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
jaytee
1995 YJ Wrangler 

And I just wanted to add that the longer I own my WJ, the more I love it. I really liked my old XJ, but this thing is great!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.