Chrysler Saftey Recall + Salvage Title? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Chrysler Saftey Recall + Salvage Title?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 03-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Lakoswolf
1993 ZJ 

Chrysler Saftey Recall + Salvage Title?

Greetings all,

I recently received a safety recall notice in the mail regarding the fuel tank issue. I saw the thread on here a while back and ignored it because I figured Chrysler wouldn't honor the recall due to the fact that my ZJ has a salvage title. What are your thoughts / experiences with this?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][B]93' Grand Wagoneer 5.2[/B][/COLOR]- Dad's
[COLOR="Red"]93' Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd. (Deceased)[/COLOR]
Lakoswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

Call them and ask. I would say no.
johns1mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
SBiscardi
1996 ZJ 

It don't matter if it's salvage or not I have 2 ZJs and one is salvage and I got the recall paperwork in the mail for it also
SBiscardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

As a safety recall it should be covered.

As an example, several years ago when Chrysler had the rear hatch latch recall on the mini vans they were even replacing the latches on minivans that were in salvage yards in case. The reasoning was if someone put a salvage hatch on their minivan it would have the updated latch on it.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
nicyousuckk
1997 ZJ 

Depends on the nature of the salvage and Jeep's own policies. I work for an auto maker and we distinguish between different types of "salvage" titles in the sense that some are eligible for full recall coverage and others are not.
nicyousuckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
1998_ZJltd
1998 ZJ 

if the mounting points for the hitch are damaged from prior impact I would safely guess that they would decline to put it in ... I would also think if the points are rusty that they could claim it would not be safe and that would likely be the end of the argument ....
1998_ZJltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
rezek
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998_ZJltd View Post
if the mounting points for the hitch are damaged from prior impact I would safely guess that they would decline to put it in ... I would also think if the points are rusty that they could claim it would not be safe and that would likely be the end of the argument ....
I just talked to the Jeep service center near me today, and from what I was told, they haven't finalized anything yet. So even though they sent out the recall letters, they aren't doing any repairs yet. When they do it will be to all ZJ's, WJ's and select Liberty's. unless they "can't" install a hitch. When I asked how long before we could expect it finalized he maintained that Jeep has built a quality product and the repair is really un needed anyways, but when they did finalize they would email/snail mail the affected parties telling them to schedule an appointment. I don't know how accurate all of that was as it seemed as though he was reading from a damned script. But that is what I was told this morning.
rezek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
papitt
1995 ZJ 

I was service advisor & part of my job was to do recalls. As far as I remember Salvage title never had anything to do with it.. Recalls were forever . All safety .. Most were B/S BUT we got paid to do them..
... As I remember we had one of Diesel pICK UPS ..All we did was to take 2 nuts off & Turn the wire eyelet over & replace the nuts . I could never see any difference in one side of the nut & the other.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
Skydmark1
1998 ZJ 

I sure would like a hitch for mine, I just bought it a month ago. Wonder if I'll get a recall letter. I believe the VIN is registered to my name through Jeep because I requested a build sheet.
Unread 03-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
1998_ZJltd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydmark1 View Post
I sure would like a hitch for mine, I just bought it a month ago. Wonder if I'll get a recall letter. I believe the VIN is registered to my name through Jeep because I requested a build sheet.
thats what you need to do ... so now just hang on .. from what I have heard they need to have about a million hitches made and get them to the dealers to install them ... so it may be a little bit of a wait ....
1998_ZJltd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.