Chrysler recalls Jeeps...Get your free trailer hitch - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Chrysler recalls Jeeps...Get your free trailer hitch

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #166
angry_trucker
Registered User
1998 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: kitchener, ontario
Posts: 115
I used to have a 06 Crown Vic equipped with the fire suppression system (ex New York State Trooper bought at auction)...
The system is designed to deploy automatically, upon sensing an impact, but there is also a manual override switch, just in case the sensors fail and the operator is still alive and capable to deploy it...
The problem with the manual override was, that it was placed overhead, where a interior light switch would be positioned on most cars...
The switch was housed behind a plastic cover, but it was designed to be activated, even if someone has hit the plastic cover with enough force....needless to say, I was scared to even look at it the wrong way...

I was very nervous, when I let someone else drive this car, as I would call it "the $3000 dollar button".....once deployed, the recharging of the system would cost more than the car was worth.....and all it would take, was for someone to mistakenly assume, that it is the interior light switch.....

__________________
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0
Selec-Trac
Everything stock.
angry_trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #167
xcaliber81
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Prince George, B.C
Posts: 2,801
Yea I definitely would not let ppl drive it.
__________________
Im indian my elders name is Jeep Grand Cherokee, I mean Chief Grand Cherokee. Quoted from Peter Griffin.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #168
newfieZJ
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: , Alberta
Posts: 6,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_trucker View Post
I was very nervous, when I let someone else drive this car, as I would call it "the $3000 dollar button".....once deployed, the recharging of the system would cost more than the car was worth.....and all it would take, was for someone to mistakenly assume, that it is the interior light switch.....
If it was mass produced and installed in every new vehicle , you'd soon pick it up for the same price as a AC recharge kit .

Thanks for that video , that works awesome . Impact sensor with a heat switch overide . I'd be game for whatever system is used in the vid .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #169
angry_trucker
Registered User
1998 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: kitchener, ontario
Posts: 115
Here is the system explained with some drawings:
http://advancedextrication.com/2012/...ession-system/
__________________
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0
Selec-Trac
Everything stock.
angry_trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #170
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines
 
zander21510's Avatar
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_trucker View Post
I used to have a 06 Crown Vic equipped with the fire suppression system (ex New York State Trooper bought at auction)...
The system is designed to deploy automatically, upon sensing an impact, but there is also a manual override switch, just in case the sensors fail and the operator is still alive and capable to deploy it...
The problem with the manual override was, that it was placed overhead, where a interior light switch would be positioned on most cars...
The switch was housed behind a plastic cover, but it was designed to be activated, even if someone has hit the plastic cover with enough force....needless to say, I was scared to even look at it the wrong way...

I was very nervous, when I let someone else drive this car, as I would call it "the $3000 dollar button".....once deployed, the recharging of the system would cost more than the car was worth.....and all it would take, was for someone to mistakenly assume, that it is the interior light switch.....
Its almost as close as you can get to a self-destruct button lol
__________________
208K (5/26/14)
208k: 4/20/14; 207k: 2/6/14; 206k: 1/6/14;
2013: 197-205k; 2012: 191k-196k
My ZJ Injector Swap HowTo
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #171
98LIZJ
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Westbury, New York
Posts: 76
Does anyone know if they are going to add the electrics with the hitch or just the hardware
98LIZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #172
dnuccio
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98LIZJ View Post
Does anyone know if they are going to add the electrics with the hitch or just the hardware
i would be VERY, VERY surprised if they gave us wiring. im sure they'd be happy to install it, but you will pay for it.
__________________
Reliability is relative
R.I.P. Ratmonkey
dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #173
98LIZJ
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Westbury, New York
Posts: 76
Just bought a jetski and neeed a hitch ASAP, would it be wise to wait or just suck it up and buy my own
98LIZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #174
Midnightluckey
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, TX, Tx
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98LIZJ
Just bought a jetski and neeed a hitch ASAP, would it be wise to wait or just suck it up and buy my own
I would just get one. You have no idea how long you'll be waiting for the hitch from Chrysler.
__________________
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #175
dbmorris99
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dallas, Georgia
Posts: 43
when i was at the local dealership getting the shifter recall done on mine i asked about the hitch and the service rep said probably another 6-9 months
dbmorris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #176
JS97ZJ
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dingmans Ferry, PA
Posts: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98LIZJ View Post
Just bought a jetski and neeed a hitch ASAP, would it be wise to wait or just suck it up and buy my own
You could get them from your local JY for cheap, unless your looking for new.
The one Chrysler is going to supply us will probably be the lowest quality for towing purposes.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #177
dnuccio
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,484
i wouldnt be surprised if they give us the cheapy 1-1/4" reciever ones
__________________
Reliability is relative
R.I.P. Ratmonkey
dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #178
Syncityj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Henderson, Nv
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio
i wouldnt be surprised if they give us the cheapy 1-1/4" reciever ones
I would be surprised if they did anything useful.
Syncityj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #179
Badmunky
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: t, michigan
Posts: 65
Just wondering if there has been any update on this yet?
As in any official word from Chrysler?

I will not be affected by this at this point my self as I bout a solid used factory hitch and skid plate from a junk yard in CA. And am installing them after a fresh coat of paint over the week end. (Needed a hitch and this was a good deal. Hitch and skid cost me $20 less then new hitch from U-haul.)

I do not intend to have Chrysler do any thing to my rig at this point. Unless they change what they want to do to something other then the hitch idea they have right now. (And I don't think a hitch would help in any thing other then low speed impacts where there is little to no risk in the first place.)

Just want to stay on top of this in the event they change the "fix".

Depending on what they decide to do I may take my Jeep in. As it stands even if I had no hitch I do not see adding a hitch as being any safer then not having one. So if they stick with there current plan I see no reason for any one to take there Jeep in for this "Token fix".

But hey that's just me. I'm sure there will be a lot of people that will get the "free" hitch.

I do have one question thou. Where is Jeep going to get these hitches from?
They don't make them any more. I know because I called the dealer last week to see if I could get a stock hitch when I was pricing hitches and was told there not longer in the system as able to order. And a dealer search showed none in stock at any dealer any where in the country.

So if they stick with this as there "fix" there going to have make them again from what I can tell.
That will likely delay the implementation of this "fix" at least 4-8 months.
Badmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #180
JeepNicholson
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Burbank, OH
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
Just wondering if there has been any update on this yet?
As in any official word from Chrysler?

I will not be affected by this at this point my self as I bout a solid used factory hitch and skid plate from a junk yard in CA. And am installing them after a fresh coat of paint over the week end. (Needed a hitch and this was a good deal. Hitch and skid cost me $20 less then new hitch from U-haul.)

I do not intend to have Chrysler do any thing to my rig at this point. Unless they change what they want to do to something other then the hitch idea they have right now. (And I don't think a hitch would help in any thing other then low speed impacts where there is little to no risk in the first place.)

Just want to stay on top of this in the event they change the "fix".

Depending on what they decide to do I may take my Jeep in. As it stands even if I had no hitch I do not see adding a hitch as being any safer then not having one. So if they stick with there current plan I see no reason for any one to take there Jeep in for this "Token fix".

But hey that's just me. I'm sure there will be a lot of people that will get the "free" hitch.

I do have one question thou. Where is Jeep going to get these hitches from?
They don't make them any more. I know because I called the dealer last week to see if I could get a stock hitch when I was pricing hitches and was told there not longer in the system as able to order. And a dealer search showed none in stock at any dealer any where in the country.

So if they stick with this as there "fix" there going to have make them again from what I can tell.
That will likely delay the implementation of this "fix" at least 4-8 months.
Did you consider the possibility that they pulled the hitches from their saleable inventory to prepare for the recall?
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.