JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Chrysler recalls Jeeps...Get your free trailer hitch (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/chrysler-recalls-jeeps-get-your-free-trailer-hitch-1538949/)

LouC 08-01-2013 05:29 PM

Back when I bought my 98 I added both the OE hitch and skidplate. Looking at the tank design, I do think that adding both, adds a lot of protection. For one, the skid would help you with low cars under-riding the bumper and hitting the tank. For another, the factory hitch for the later models fits right between the OE bumper and the tank and is much stronger than the bumper bar thats under the plastic. I would not expect it to make a big difference in a high speed crash (like over 50 mph) because that is also dependent on how the rear structure itself is designed. But for impacts up to 35-40 or so adding both would help. If you look at the combined thickness of the flanges for the skid and hitch, it adds about 3/8ths of steel on both sides of the tank which stiffens that area. If you are at all concerned about this that's what I'd do. If you can't get an OE Mopar hitch I'd look at a Hidden Hitch it probably installs about the same.

If you click on the links for these hitches you can see how they fit between the tank and the bumper. The Draw Tite, Curt and Hidden Hitch look like they fit just like the Mopar on my 98. Add the factory or aftermarket skid and its going to be as safe as you can make it.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1998_J...d+Cherokee.htm

jwebfournow 08-03-2013 07:29 PM

And here I just went and put one on 6 months ago from Pick N pull

zander21510 08-05-2013 04:01 PM

Well I was at the dealership today to get some service done...asked about our infamous recall. He ran my VIN and said my jeep didn't fall under the batch that got recalled...which seems very curious seeing as mine has no hitch or trailer equipment from the factory. So maybe it will be one of those luck things

eagsc7 08-06-2013 07:08 AM

That sucks. The dealer around here says that it'll be another couple months before we know IF our vehicle does or does not have this recall on it. Either way wait a couple months and have them recheck for ya.

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App

pozner7 08-08-2013 03:23 PM

I got the following (among other things) from the Customer Assistance dept at Jeep when getting my build sheet info. Don't know about the first 3 items, nothing's broke and I replaced my own rotors a few years ago.

Also, I have a reciever hitch but don't know if it's a Chrysler unit or not. No name I can see, but the model #501001, I think. 5000Lb, 500Lb tongue wt. & 3500/350Lb. for something else. Looks pretty heavy duty, I think I'll keep it.

Our records indicate that the following recall campaign(s) have not been
performed by an authorized dealer:

B02 FLOOR SHIFTER SECONDARY DETENT SYSTEM
733 BRAKE PEDAL SHIFT INTERLOCK
747 DISC BRAKE ROTORS

Additionally, as of 08/06/2013 recall N45 TRAILER HITCH (ZJ) was added
to your vehicle. The parts required to complete this recall presently
are not available. As such we have forwarded your informtion to our
Parts Escaltion Team who will contact you every 30 days by email about
the status of the parts for this recall. Once the parts are avaible to
complete this recall you will be notified by the Parts Tracking Team and
recieve a recall notice in the mail.

jeep-pr 08-13-2013 12:43 PM

well, i just got my build sheet from chrysler and also added the recalls that are incomplete on my zj. to my surprise the n45 recall that is the tow hitch is one of the 3 that i have to do. so i guess i get a new tow hitch wwuuujjjuuuuu :D:cool:

bigchieftaco 08-13-2013 03:00 PM

Called my local dealer yesterday and they said my ZJ has the tow hitch recall. They put me on the list and said once they get the parts I'm first to get called. :D

chadcmb 08-13-2013 03:38 PM

theyll send me a card when the parts are ready :)

didnt think it would work because i have a tow hitch and skid plate already but hey. ill wait on the card.

WhiteOut 08-13-2013 04:29 PM

Can I ask why you guys with hitches are wanting another one? There will be no sale value on them and I'm sure your time is worth more than the time it takes to remove your current one and leaving your Jeep at the dealer for a day.

PolkaPower 08-13-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteOut (Post 15790368)
Can I ask why you guys with hitches are wanting another one? There will be no sale value on them and I'm sure your time is worth more than the time it takes to remove your current one and leaving your Jeep at the dealer for a day.

Hitch for 30 bucks at the picks and pull VS. your time x minimum wage removing current hitch x hours at the dealer + gas to and from = MEGA FAIL:rofl:

eagsc7 08-14-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteOut (Post 15790368)

Cause I need a 2" receiver in the rear, and the one that's on there is rusted thru... and the ball is rusted on there too.

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App

two98ZJs 08-14-2013 11:26 AM

I called my local Jeep stealerShip, service center, submitted my VIN and it matched their index and they will be calling when the hitch is available. Just the receiver w/o stem and ball.

What is this issue with the lack of hitches? They keep stalling, daily Jeep attrition will save them MONEY! Well I told her, my Jeep isn't going away, get the hitch ordered.

WhiteOut 08-14-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two98ZJs (Post 15793504)
What is this issue with the lack of hitches? They keep stalling, daily Jeep attrition will save them MONEY! Well I told her, my Jeep isn't going away, get the hitch ordered.

You seriously think they keep tens of thousands of hitches on the shelf for a vehicle that is 15 years out of production? Or they can just throw a switch and start cranking them out that second?

jkhcurry 08-14-2013 12:33 PM

If you need a receiver that bad just go to the local JY and get one...that's what I did this past weekend. Perfect no rust, didn't look like it had ever been used. 35 bucks later and it's on my Jeep plus it gave me something to do beside sit in the service department for 6 hours drinking coffee.

zj97ltd 08-14-2013 04:44 PM

For those of you that want a second one to sell... The market is going to become so saturated with "free" hitches from Chrysler, there really won't be any value at all in the "extra" one. Unless by some chance they fit something else that we don't know about.

The time now is 11:00 PM.