Cherokee only sometimes starts then dies. Code 13. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cherokee only sometimes starts then dies. Code 13.

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 08-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Cherokee only sometimes starts then dies. Code 13.

My GC seems like it has an electrical issue. Out wheeling last weekend I went in a medium deep mud/water hole. It died, few seconds later it started up but died again.

So if you try and start it, it will only sometimes (rarely) start up and then die shortly after. Even if I hold the rpms high it just suddenly dies and dies like someone flipped a switch. When it is running it seems to run kinda bad.

I swapped crank & cam sensors, cap, rotor, plug wires, ect. Nothing seemed to help.

I did the key on and off trick to pull a 13 engine code.

Could a map or O2 sensor cause this problem.? Any ideas?

Trick440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

year?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

I dont believe a bad map or o2 sensor wouldn't allow it to start. I think it would just throw a light

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

its a 94
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Yes, I don't think that your MAP is the source of your problem ... given that this happened when you went into mud/water, I have to think that this is the first place to look (and not electrical). For example, have you gone through and checked your air intake, including the possibility that your air filter is clogged with mud or other debris?
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Yup no mud or water intake.

This problem happened a few weeks ago too except wouldn't start at all. I went in a few puddles no problem, then a few minutes later cruising down the trail it just shuts off. I let it sit in my backyard for a few weeks and it started up and ran. It ran it all day with no issues. Next day is what my original post describes.

I'm starting to think my computer is failing. One weird thing I do not know if its related is I have been hearing electrical crackling passenger side front speaker, atleast I thought it was coming from the speaker. I noticed it both times the jeep died.

I'm going to go through the list ZeeJay1997 has in his sig. See if anything helps. This jeep is my toy so I'm not in too much of a hurry to fix it.
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

"One weird thing I do not know if its related is I have been hearing electrical crackling passenger side front speaker, atleast I thought it was coming from the speaker. I noticed it both times the jeep died."

This might or might not be a clue. Check the ground under the coil if you have a 4.0 engine.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
Speedymcracer01

Your model jeep has been known for bad wiring boots on the computer they become loose sometimes wiggling the wiring harness will get them to fire others have to replace the wiring boots
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Update:
Code 13 is fixed. Vacuum line was unplugged. We must of bumped it off while we were working on it.

The no start and suddenly lose spark is still an issue.

I did Zeejays dirty dozen and everything checked out. All connections look good. Full tune up, cap, rotor, wires & plugs. Tested the coil comparing it to 3 other coils and they all tested the same, so i'm saying the coils good.

Now I don't know what to do. I'm thinking this is a computer issue and I would like to test the computer but don't know how.

I also think there are 2 computers, one passanger side firewall near coolant ressy and the other driver side near the airbox. Can someone tell me about each computer.
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:00 AM   #10
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Have you tested the Crank sensor? Or just replaced it? If replaced, was it a MOPAR sensor?

What about the connectors that would have gotten wet during your mud hole episode? Have you pulled them apart, cleaned them and re-connected them?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick440 View Post
I also think there are 2 computers, one passanger side firewall near coolant ressy and the other driver side near the airbox. Can someone tell me about each computer.
The one by the coolant reservoir is the PCM, it controls the engine. The one by the air box is the ABS brake controller. FWIW there's also one above your pedals and a bit toward the door mounted to the inner firewall that controls the transmission if you have the 42RE.

The 93-95 PCMs don't seem to have the bad connector problems that the later ZJs have but they do get bad capacitors which are pretty easy to change. There are a couple write-ups here how to do that.

You should be able to grab a computer at a junkyard to try instead of your original PCM. I ran a 94 computer with a different part number in my 93 while I replaced the capacitors with no issues. Having said that, PCMs rarely go bad.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
johns1mj
1995 ZJ 

It looked like we assumed this was a 4.0.

According to your posts you have replaced the crank sensor, tested fuel pressure, performed a tune up, and checked the signal to the coil. Have you tried a spark tester? Do you have injector pulse? Basically it check how far your coil will arc for strength. If you have signal going into the coil but nothing coming out then the coil is bad.

If you have injector pulse attach a test light to battery positive (B+). Back probe the coil negative wire at the coil which is Grey/White. Crank the engine over and the test light should flash on and off. If it flashes, then the coil is likely shorted on the secondary winding. The coil secondary winding should be 11,000 to 15,000 ohms. Replace the coil and the harness per TSB #08-35-93.
johns1mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

When my first coil went bad the resistances all checked good but I was having very bad constant misfires. I threw a coil at it and it fixed the issues.
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

This is a 4.0. I'm going to get a junkyard computer I think. I have a spare 96 cherokee with a computer if they matched that would be awesome.
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

The 96 PCM is an entirely different beast. You wouldn't even be able to plug it in. The 96 and up have three plugs, the 93-95 have one big plug.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.