Check list for plenum repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Check list for plenum repair

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Check list for plenum repair

I'm going to start buying the gaskets and then the plenum plate on ebay for the plenum repair. However, do I have to buy new intake manifold bolts? I see them on advanced for like 30 bucks.

This is what I have in my list to get so far;
plenum plate (65 ish shipped)
throttle body gasket($2)
thermostat and gasket ($10)
plenum GASKET and intake manifold gaskets ($16)
the little elbow hose looking thing(advance's site doesnt have it so Ill get that from my work for around 5 bucks).
all gaskets are felpro.

the bolts are about 26 bolts so I'd like to reuse mine if thats okay?

my question is, how does that list look, and whats the reasoning people say to buy the bolts. And can i get by without them

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I would replace all hoses and consider doing some preventative maintenance like the crank sensor. How are your valve cover gaskets looking? Replace those too if they are leaky. I used new bolts because I read that they are torque to yield and should only be used once. I'm not 100% on that but I didn't want to take any chances. It's actually cheaper to just buy the hughes kit but I pieced mine together too. Get some degreaser, new hose clamps, and wire brushes. I did not use the front and rear intake gaskets. I used permatex in the squirt can and made a thick bead where they would go then waited about half hour before I installed the intake. Worked great.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

intake bolts are one time use only. get the intake manifold bolts.
the plate bolts won't be long enough for an aluminum plate iirc.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

okay I will get the new bolts. I know the hughes is cheaper, but i read they use chinese gaskets.

I am going to get a degreaser, to clean the intake. And ill get an assortment of hose clamps.

I'm also going to get a new oil filter and 5 quarts of oil.

Unread 04-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

Just go to the hughes engine site and pick up there kit it includes just about everything for it even the manifold bolts the cost isnt to bad the ebay plate is $60 shiped the say the bypass hose bolts and gaskets autozone price on there website is $50 so its already close to the same price as the hughes kit
Unread 04-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #6
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Yea but the gaskets in the Hughes are cheap. I can spend 5/10 bucks less and get felpro

Unread 04-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #7
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Get the Felpro gaskets. That's what I did when I did mine. I'm pretty sure the Hughes kit comes with a new plate and the Dorman gasket kit. Dorman gaskets aren't necessarily bad, but they don't have a reputation like Felpro. The guy from thespeedfreaks.net (the same guy on eBay) gives you new bolts for the plate along with the plate. Also, after all my research, and I did a lot of it, I decided to reuse my intake bolts. I did the work quite a while ago and I haven't had any issues. Make sure you download the Hughes instructions though. It's got the torque specs and torquing pattern for the plate. You'll also need to get the torque specs and torquing pattern for the intake. I believe they're available as a link on the Hughes site (some dodge forum link). Lastly, throughout all that reading, I didn't see anything about replacing the thermostat when everything is off. Do that. It's a great opportunity to do some preventative maintenance.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

I thought I put I will be replacing it sorry I'm gonna use a 195.

My jeep will be sitting for 5 months in 3 months this is just something I want to do now so I don't have to do it on my 2 week return

Unread 04-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenscrew View Post
Yea but the gaskets in the Hughes are cheap. I can spend 5/10 bucks less and get felpro
Hughes switched their gaskets to Fel-pro the joke is on us. The gasket in the pic on their site looks exactly like the fel-pro I bought.
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Hughes switched their gaskets to Fel-pro the joke is on us. The gasket in the pic on their site looks exactly like the fel-pro I bought.
They should advertise that. Although, I feel better supporting the little guy that makes the plates and sells them on the side.
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

I bought my plenum plate here. Comes with the bolts, no gaskets. With the felpro kit, it ends up being the same price as the hughes kit. Plate is the same as well. Be prepared to break at least one bolt in removal. I would also buy some cans of mopar combustion cleaner to clear out all the oil and crud buildup in the manifold. Definitely buy new intake bolts, I broke 2 on removal plus they are one use. I paid $20 for a set at the dealer although I had to wait 2 days for them to come in.
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

I just got mine today. Bought it from that guy on ebay, but I contacted him through tsf (bought the gaskets seperate). How much time should I give myself to do this? While I was in there, I was planning on doing the cap and rotor, and the crank sensor, and I was also going to cut out the center divider in the intake (not the runners, though).
2013-04-05-16.55.16.jpg  
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I want to say it took me about 5 or 6 hours for the whole job. I didn't run into any snags. I also did my valve cover gaskets in that time frame.
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I took two days and scrubbed and cleaned the intake. Soaked it in de greaser overnight. Came out spotless. If you are cutting the divider it will take longer to do it right. There is a tremendous amount of cleaning from scraping the old gasket off the block and intake to vacuuming with the shop vac. You want to get all the crud out of there and if you are cutting you want to get all of the metal shavings out.
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #15
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

Working time was probably 8-10 hours for me, but I had 3 bolts break so that includes drilling, tapping and/or setting heli-coils. I also did a full tune-up and did the CCC procedure. Make sure to have a bunch of rags to protect the galley from gasket bits and such.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.