Check Gauges - Temp Gauge hits Max - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Check Gauges - Temp Gauge hits Max

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 07-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #16
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Is the truck actually overheating? Temp gauge being pegged it's supposed to be boiling over.

When engines boil over gauges will peg quickly.

Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
badrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak1982 View Post
You can swap the temp gauge over however i have never seen anyone selling just the gauges. You can get a whole cluster for around $25 shipped if that on ebay. They dont go for much.
What is the difficulty in replacing the whole cluster?

Also, is there a risk in continuing to drive the car with the current issue I am having? I am only driving this beast on cool days for now

Thanks
badrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #18
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

cool days doesnt mean it wont over heat. The risk is you have no idea what the engine temp is and yes overheating can cause serious damage. Replacing the cluster is easy. About 12 screws and its out.
JeepFreak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
badrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak1982
cool days doesnt mean it wont over heat. The risk is you have no idea what the engine temp is and yes overheating can cause serious damage. Replacing the cluster is easy. About 12 screws and its out.
Ok I might go visit the junk yard and find a replacement cluster.
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

Keep in mind mileage is stores in the cluster so if you change the cluster out it will reflect the mileage on the doner Jeep. Best thing to do to avoid issues with inspection, sale, people thinking your trying to scam them if the mileage is lower, all that crap is just swap the gauge over not the whole cluster. Save the doner cluster for the rest of the gauges. Never know what you may need in the future.
JeepFreak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #21
badrc

I have yet to replace the cluster. I have taken video of the car parked when the outside temperature is over 90 degrees F. I had driven over 30 miles and I let the car sit in the parking lot with the a/c . The temperature needle was halfway and it hit max within 5 minutes. Driving home the temps were down. I luckily have not had to sit in trafffic.

Here is a short clip of what happened while sitting in the parking lot.

Unread 09-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #22
badrc

Well I ended up selling this jeep. I did not want to keep investing money to the point it was costing more than it was worth. Plus the wife did not feel safe anymore.

Thanks for all the help.

Tags
gauges , temperature gauge

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.