Check gages light, shifter moves freely, won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Check gages light, shifter moves freely, won't start

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 02-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
ZJP
1998 ZJ 

Check gages light, shifter moves freely, won't start

I was coming home the other night during the snowstorm and got stuck on my block so I ran home to grab a shovel to dig myself out and when I came back to to start the engine it wouldn't turn over. I get full power interior wise and the battery gauge needle is right below 14 so I don't think it's the battery. The shifter moves freely and if I put the car in neutral it won't roll back. Also the check gages light came on at one point when I was trying to power through the snow.

Any ideas as to what happened?

ZJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
squirrelbomb
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same thing happen to me with my tj. It ended up being the shifter cable. To get it started I had to have a friend crawl under and pull on the cable to engage the transmission. I had to do this every time I wanted to shift (R to D to P ext.)
squirrelbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

When you say the shifter moves freely, do you mean normally? Also, If you impacted snow underneath, it could be shorting something out. It also could just be a coincidence. My starter is on it's way out and sometimes it takes a dozen turns of the key before the starter engages.
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
ZJP
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis View Post
When you say the shifter moves freely, do you mean normally? Also, If you impacted snow underneath, it could be shorting something out. It also could just be a coincidence. My starter is on it's way out and sometimes it takes a dozen turns of the key before the starter engages.
I meant it in the sense that the lever just glides through the gearbox instead of locking in each time you put it in a different gear. Hope that made sense.
ZJP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.