Check Engine. Transmission problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Check Engine. Transmission problems

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
creeperjeeper8
1997 ZJ 

Check Engine. Transmission problems

Hey guys,

Sorry for being a bother to ask what might be a stupid question, but i have a 97 ZJ with 183000 miles on it (hell yea!). On my drive down to Virginia Tech for the semester, my transmission was starting to have problems on the highway by not shifting out of what i think was 3rd. Now after the drive, the check engine light came on and the transmission is really having problems deciding when to shift up....especially out of third.

i got the check engine light checked out at sears and they said it was the governor valve, which im under the assumption is way more of a DIY job like all of the other things on my jeep have been.

Is this a typical thing, and my beloved "black betty" is actually dying? or is there anything i can do?

Thanks guys!
MS

creeperjeeper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Go to youtube and search for gov pressure solenoid ZJ. There are a few tutorials.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
creeperjeeper8
1997 ZJ 

Is it something I could do on my own you think or is it gonna have to go to a shop?
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeperjeeper8 View Post
Is it something I could do on my own you think or is it gonna have to go to a shop?
Did you watch the video?
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
creeperjeeper8
1997 ZJ 

that's what I think is the best tutorial. doesn't seem too bad but that's always how I feel until I start working on it haha
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I like this one too

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.