Check Engine Light+Fluctuating Oil Pressure+Trickling Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Check Engine Light+Fluctuating Oil Pressure+Trickling Noise

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 11-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
BonBon541
1997 ZJ 

Check Engine Light+Fluctuating Oil Pressure+Trickling Noise

Today at a stoplight as I was sitting there in my 1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ the Check Engine light came on, and I looked at all of the gauges and everything seemed normal, oil was at 40psi or so; later on, I noticed that during idle the oil pressure would drop to about 30psi and then go up to around 40psi when I started moving again...when I got home I got out of the car and I noticed a trickling noise coming from the engine area, but I didn't see any leaks underneath. Does anybody know what the problem might be?

BonBon541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
B93
1998 ZJ 

This sounds like a dumb question, but have you checked your oil level?

I went somewhere to get an oil change done right after my Jeep had overheated one day, and later on I noticed my oil pressure was jumping all over the place. Since I just had an oil change done, I didn't bother checking the level and just assumed the sender unit was going bad. Then my Jeep started sounding a bit strange over the next couple days... Turns out those bastards put very little (if any) oil back in the Jeep. It didn't leak oil either, so it was definitely their error. I was so pissed...

So yeah, check your oil level first
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
papitt
1995 ZJ 

... I too was going to ask does it have oil in it. I did that years ago .. on a chevy truck . gauge got to bouncing back and fourth . It only need about 4 qts .
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
BonBon541
1997 ZJ 

Thank you all for your replies! Turns out that the engine light was due to a bad oxygen sensor of all things, and that the oil gauge bouncing was due to the oil heating up as it went through the engine...the oil is all topped off so it's good to know that my ZJ doesn't have any expensive issues
BonBon541 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.