check engine light, engine losing power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > check engine light, engine losing power

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
kemicalburns

check engine light, engine losing power

i have a 98 5.9. if you give it any more then 1/4 throttle it will bog down like its getting to much fuel or losing spark.

Well i finally made it home, limping along the best i could. checked the oil and it has a gas smell. so im thinking either an injector is stuck or my fuel pressure regulator is going or gone. im leaning more towards the fpr but not sure where its at. i dont own a manual yet and my rv trailer is up at our camping spot so i need to fix the jeep before i head back up on friday. ive disconnected the battery cables and cleaned up the terminals. need some quick help fellas.

thanks

2.5" exhaust flowmaster
kemicalburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2005, 09:13 PM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Look carefully around each injector. I bet one of the O-rings is worn and is seeping fuel. I have to straight-six engine. The fuel pump delivers 40 psi to the fuel rail. The vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator is on my fuel rail. When regulator has vacuum, it diverts 10 psi back to the gas tank. So the fuel rail only sees only 30 psi. I would think that even new o-rings could maintain 40 psi however, but I do not know that for sure. It seems like they should because it would become a safety issue otherwise. The exhaust manifold is only 3 inches away.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
kemicalburns

checked the injectors , none are leaking fuel on the outside of intake
2.5" exhaust flowmaster
Unread 05-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If you can smell it then you should be able to see it? Unless its evaporating as fast as it is leaking. Maybe a clogged Cat?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 05-25-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
kemicalburns

i smell gas on the oildipstick
2.5" exhaust flowmaster
Unread 05-25-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Blown head gasket??

Unread 05-26-2005, 08:04 AM   #7
kemicalburns

well there is no coolant lose and the rig never overheated. . also a blow headgasket wouldnt allow fuel into the oil pan
2.5" exhaust flowmaster
Unread 05-26-2005, 08:29 AM   #8
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I am just throwin out suggestions. I guess if the valves had a lot of carbon on them and leaked, then gas vapors could get mixed in the upper part of the head and drain back thru the oil passages near the rockers? When I place a question mark at the end of a statement, it means that I am not sure about the statement.

Unread 05-26-2005, 08:35 AM   #9
kemicalburns

i know sorry if i came off short. just frustrated , it seems more people do upgrades on here then actually fix/work on there rigs. i guess no one has had there fpr go out on them yet or experience similar symptoms like i am.
2.5" exhaust flowmaster
Unread 05-26-2005, 08:53 AM   #10
RolledOverJEEP

I'll bet it's either the fuel pressure regulator or PCV. My recomendation would be to junk the PCV that's in it now, and put a new one in, they are less than 5 bucks. I had the same problem with a Plymouth Voyager, gas in the oil. Well after a new fuel pump and FPR, it was about 90% gone, and that thing had some miles. Here's a link that shows the FPR location, just keep in mind this is for the WJ's. http://www.wjjeeps.com/fuel_filter.htm . Did you recently have a hard time getting it started and possible flood it? That's another way to get gas in the oil. Don't forget to change your oil! Gas in the oil with wear that bad boy out faster than anything.
Unread 05-26-2005, 08:53 AM   #11
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

No sweat. Good luck with her!

Unread 05-26-2005, 08:59 AM   #12
RolledOverJEEP

One more thing, you mentioned the check engine ligt is on. Is it giving any codes? Try turning the key from off to the position just BEFORE starting, and then back to off 3 times. Then with the key in the ON ( not start!) position, watch the check engine light. It should flash code(s) such as the ones described here http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html
Unread 05-26-2005, 08:59 AM   #13
kemicalburns

thats the funny thing its been driving around fine in town , never having any trouble starting in the mornings. but after towing my rv trailer up to the lake i didnt get half way before it started acting up. at first i could maintain about 3/4 throttle going about 45-50 mph, then after i droped the trailer off and started home i could only use 1/2 throttle then 1/4. i could barley get out of my own way. i also notice on the overhead console showing the current mpg at the time and when i had the problem my mpg would drop a lot. like start at 16 mpg then go down to 12 then 7 it even hit 5 on ocasion
2.5" exhaust flowmaster
Unread 05-26-2005, 09:03 AM   #14
kemicalburns

yes there is a check engine light so i will do as you described. i was wondering how to pull codes with out a code reader. i know on my bronco you can use a paper clip and kinda do what you said. but this is way easier. i will let you know
2.5" exhaust flowmaster
Unread 05-26-2005, 09:14 AM   #15
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Extracting Fault Codes:
Turn the ignition switch ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON and observe the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. The CHECK ENGINE LIGHT should begin to flash a series of codes. The flashes will be separated by short an long pauses. The long pauses separate the "ones" and "tens" positions, and each code from the next. A code 55 will be displayed at the end of the test.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes - 1995 Jeep

11 IGN reference signal.
12 Battery input to PCM disconnected during last 50 key starts.
13 Fault in the map sensor pneumatic circuit.
14 Fault in the map sensor electrical circuit.
15 Fault in the vehicle speed sensor circuit.
17 Engine running too cool.
21 Problem in the oxygen feedback circuit.
22 Fault in the coolant temperature sensor circuit.
23 Air temperature sensor.
24 Intake air temp. sensor voltage high.
25 Fault in the IAC motor drive circuit.
27 Fault in injector driver interface circuit.
33 Fault in air conditioning cutout relay circuit.
34 S/C solenoid circuits.
35 Fault in fan relay circuit.
41 Fault in the charging system or no field current.
42 Fault in the ASD relay driver circuit.
44 Battery Temp Voltage.
46 Battery voltage is too high.
47 Battery voltage is too low.
51 Lean condition is indicated.
52 Rich condition is indicated.
53 Internal problem in module.
54 No cam position signal.
55 Completion of fault code display.
62 Unsuccessful attempt to update EMR mileage.
63 Unsuccessful attempt to write to an EEPROM location by the controller.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.