Check Engine Light and 98 MPH? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Check Engine Light and 98 MPH?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 04-30-2003, 06:18 PM   #1
A320Busboy

Check Engine Light and 98 MPH?

On a recent road trip while cruising at high speeds (90+) the Check Engine light illuminated on my 1999 JGC. I observed no problems with the car- engine temps/indications were normal, as was the tranny operation.

After taking the Cherokee to the dealer, the service advisor told me that the Check Engine light illuminated because I exceeded 98 MPH. He admonished me for driving too fast and said the light has been reset. As an explanation he said the "fuel injectors were attempting to shut down" to prevent the transmission from overheating. B.S.????

I have NEVER heard of a Check Engine light coming on for excessive speed, and further there is no indication of a max speed in the owner's manual. I am familiar with RPM limiters and speed limiters that will kill ignition to prevent excessive speed.

I suspect the dealer either can't figure out the fault, or they are trying to get out of fixing the root problem. Any ideas?

ps... Is it true that I cannot obtain OBDII codes from my '99 JGC without a OBD reader?

Unread 04-30-2003, 09:39 PM   #2
JeepGuyRyan

you reached your max speed (governed by the onboard computer) and I have heard of the check engine light comming on when that happens. Your owners manual will not list that type of information. And yes it is true that you can't check your OBD II codes without a OBD Reader. As for the injectors trying to shut down to prevent transmission damage, thats not correct, the injectors may be shutting down because you've reached the governed speed.
Unread 04-30-2003, 10:07 PM   #3
A320Busboy

Thanks Ryan- I am quite surprised that the governed speed is so low. With a vehicle that is powerful and stable at speed to have a Check Engine light come on whenever 100 MPH is achieved is ridiculous. Although I agree that 100 MPH in a JPG is a bit excessive, it is a modern car traveling on interstates where the traffic flows at 90 MPH on occasion.

I just received the work order back from the dealer regarding the Check Engine light:
"HAS INJECTOR 4 CONTROL CIRCUIT STORED IN COMPUTER
WITH GLOBAL GOOD TRIPS "OLD CODE"
DRB SHOW CODE SET AT 98 MILES PER HOUR
CODE NOT RETURNING AT THIS TIME JEEP WAS PROB IN FUEL SHUTOFF"
I do not understand all of the mechanic's diagnosis, and the statement 'was prob(ably?) in fuel shutoff' is a bit vague... doesn't their OBD reader identify the issue?

2 questions:
Is the 98 MPH a hard limit for all GJC?
Is there a way for me to reset the Check Engine light the next time I exceed 100 MPH?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Jon
Unread 04-30-2003, 10:58 PM   #4
Bosshound

Do you have Quadradrive ? If so do you get any vibrations between 80 and 90 ?
Bosshound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2003, 11:12 PM   #5
A320Busboy

The truck has Quadra-Drive. No I did not experience any noticeable vibrations. New Goodyear Wrangler SR-A s with a good balance.
Unread 04-30-2003, 11:16 PM   #6
kbohip

Quote:
Originally posted by Bosshound
Do you have Quadradrive ? If so do you get any vibrations between 80 and 90 ?
I have the vibration in my almost new '03 Grand Cherokee Overland. It seems to get worse and worse all the way up to 90mph. I've not really gotten it much faster than that though yet, mostly because of the vibration. It really drives me crazy! There should be NO vibrations in a vehicle this expensive. My friend has a 99 Limited V8 without the Quadradrive and it does the exact same thing.

I'm really surprised they set the speed limiter that low too. I thought it was set for around 115mph. They usually set it around the speed rating of the tires, which for most suvs would be 112 (SR rated).

I once had a 92 Nissan Maxima that I got up to 145mph in Montana before they put the speed limits back in force. There was no vibrations and no speed limiter, it just wouldn't go any faster.
kbohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2003, 11:27 PM   #7
Bosshound

Overland Vibration

I have a 2002 Overland and just came back from a 3500 mile trip across Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico. Between 80 and 90 it vibrates. 110 MPH is the fastest i will go. I still ran between 80 and 90 the whole way. I just got used to it ! ANY Solutions ?

Bosshound@attbi.com
Bosshound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2003, 11:46 PM   #8
kbohip

If there is a solution, Chrysler hasn't and won't come up with it. I know for a fact that my friends 99 V8 does it, and like I said before, no Quadradrive. It feels to me like a drive shaft that hasn't been properly balanced. The vibration is just like when my old Toyota truck's u-joints were going out, only it would vibrate at much lower speeds.

I think a bunch of JGC owners should get together on this and force Chrysler to fix this problem. I recently read that the JGC is one of the best selling import cars in Germany. You better believe that they don't put up with these vibrations, they drive at those speeds and higher all the time on the Autobahn. If we could only get some German spec drive shafts over here!

I may start a new thread and ask how many other people are having these problems.
Unread 05-01-2003, 05:56 AM   #9
eattoast

You will have bigger problems if you keep driving at that speed - they will probably have to scrape you off the highway.
eattoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2003, 07:02 AM   #10
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I've been to 90 and 100 with both the 32s and 33s. Talk about white knuckles.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2003, 01:29 AM   #11
kbohip

Quote:
Originally posted by eattoast
You will have bigger problems if you keep driving at that speed - they will probably have to scrape you off the highway.
Ralph Nader is in the house!
Unread 05-02-2003, 06:59 AM   #12
KillerZJ

I have done 100 mph in my 95 Laredo w/ the 4.0 I6 and nothing happened, no lights or dings or beeps or nothing. Are 93-98s governed because I was running about 4,500 RPMs and it only goes to 5,250.

Wow no pictures in sig? F*cking gay.[/FONT]
KillerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2003, 07:21 AM   #13
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I'm running the Mopar Performance ECU so I don't believe that I have the governing problem.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2003, 07:44 AM   #14
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Same here "chipped = higher limit " that will get you over
98, I have had mine up over the speedometer and it was a bit
weird with the lift and the spare on the roof and 31's but I was
figureing 115 or so and it was still going. But I wasnt man enough
to put it any higher..
Lifted trucks arent meant to fly..
But if you want it to chip it..
Unread 05-03-2003, 05:49 PM   #15
jmx

My WJ had no problems

I zipped past 100 for a minute or two on a recent trip to Phoenix from LA. My 2002 WJ limited had no vibration or check engine light issues...

I have 2WD only and stock Goodyear Eagle LSs on the stock chrome rims.

jmx

Pursue excellence and the rest will follow.
jmx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.