Check Engine Light On: 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 4.0 Engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Check Engine Light On: 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 4.0 Engine

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
Keith1975

Check Engine Light On: 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 4.0 Engine

Hello, the check engine light is on in my mom's 1995 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 with the 4.0 six cylinder engine and I was able to pull the codes by turning the ignition key to On, Off On, Off and then back to On and the following codes came up: 12, 41 and 55.

What do those codes mean? I tried checking the link under frequently asked questions about the trouble codes but the link doesn't work. She just had the oil change done on it yesterday at Lube Stop in Barberton, OH and the check engine light came on after she had the oil changed and was on her way home.

Keith1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

12-battery input to PCM disconnected in last 50 start cycles.

41-an open or shorted condition in generator field control circuit(alternator I think)

55-test complete

Go get alternator tested. Was the gauge different than normal?

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Keith1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseOR View Post

41-an open or shorted condition in generator field control circuit(alternator I think)

55-test complete

Thank you very much for the information What gauge were you refering to? She said it seemed like it was running fine after the oil change but the check engine light came on so yea I'll have the alternator tested and see what is up.
Unread 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

The battery/charge gauge. But many people just over look it so she probably didn't notice anything.

Unread 09-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
MustangJAB02
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseOR View Post

55-test complete

How do you read the codes? this is my blinking pattern: l ll lllll l lllll lllll

is it grouped into pairs? 12, 51, 55? is that right?

If that is right then here is a list of the codes for everyone else so they can diagnose themselves.
http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/troubleshootcodes.htm

http://www.swmjeepers.com/forums/mem...3-MustangJAB02
MustangJAB02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
Keith1975

Hello all and thanks for all the replies but my mom traded the 95 grand cherokee in and got an 07 Jeep Commander 4x4 :-)
Unread 09-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangJAB02 View Post
How do you read the codes? this is my blinking pattern: l ll lllll l lllll lllll

is it grouped into pairs? 12, 51, 55? is that right?

If that is right then here is a list of the codes for everyone else so they can diagnose themselves.
Troubleshoot Codes
yes, that is correct. that is the link i have always used as well, but it is also available in any service manual

Unread 11-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
95gcawd

I just checked mine and got III III II IIIII IIIII
What does the II stand for?
95gcawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.