Check Engine Light - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Check Engine Light

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #31
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Keep the electrical connections clean, the engine tuned, the fluids fresh, and run a couple of bottles of injector cleaner in the tank once every 6 months will keep the economy up there.
I've kept mine going for 232k and have always gotten it to remain at 18.5 average. I'll reset the overhead at every oil change and if the average starts to go into the 17 mpg range I know it's time to start looking into timing it again. But that doesn't usually occur for 35k miles.

JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #32
papitt
1995 ZJ 

... Wow I like this ZJ .. I've had 3 now and I like this one the best but .. All 3 have had this pitch and snort . Bad fuel Pump issue.
I'm trying to by my self a Fuel Pressure gauge.. Off E-Bay... Not bad maybe 35.00 for what looks like a good one but in town they are about 75.00 up to 125.00.
I believe after 3, I need a tester. I hate to borrow someones tool.
Also the fuel pumps in town were 309.00 but on E-bay they were about 65.00 big difference.
... And my 2nd issue is it drive & shift fine after my tranny work but when I pull up to a stop .. There is a vibration at very low idle. It's setting on the 1st mark I'd almost say the mark should indicate 250 rpm's but I'm sure it's about 5 or 600 not 750.. It's a shame these EFI's don't have the old Idle screws.

... No CEL's at this time ..
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #33
papitt
1995 ZJ 

... Dang I just had an Altercation here on the Ranch .. Shots fire inside .. Where no is supposed to be. So I grabbed the ZJ & light & guns ..... Went to ruin their night ... They knew I kNEW THEY WHERE THERE.. So I drove the ZJ and out back it got warm for the 1st time .. It went to 210+ not much+ .. and the Volts dropped to about what I'd call 13.5V.....FROM A NEDDLE MORE THAN 14.....
.. Well After the Midnight Ride of PaPitt. I took it back out on the County Road and Drove it about 3 miles and it cooled back down to where it normally runs. At about 160 or so it runs pitching and snorting .. But when it was up at 212 it ran with out the pitching & bucking ..... But it did feel like it was being held back ....... I'm leaning toward the Bad Cat now.
......... So Since it only has one O2 Just after the exit maNIFOLD... Would it hurt to cut off the Cat . & straight pipe it.
... Will it Run ....
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #34
wheelbagans4

I had the same issues after i nailed my tahoe on a rock, i mucked up the transmission and it just bounced around the rpms all the time check your transfer case
wheelbagans4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #35
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

160* ?????? Normal?
It should run at 210* normally. At 160* the system is in a warm up mode, open loop, that will give you problems.
If it runs at 160*, get a new T stat.
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #36
buick-lsx
1998 ZJ 

im trying to check my codes...and ive tried several time now with no luck....are the 98's any different?

ive tried the on/off 2 times, 3, 4, nothing works
buick-lsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #37
buick-lsx
1998 ZJ 

nvm, just found an old thread that says that doesnt work on the 98's...great
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #38
wheelbagans4

Have you checked your transmission?
wheelbagans4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #39
buick-lsx
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbagans4 View Post
Have you checked your transmission?
how/for what?
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #40
buick-lsx
1998 ZJ 

fluid level was fine and fluid didnt smell burnt, seemed like there was a lot of air bubbles but besides that idk
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #41
papitt
1995 ZJ 

... Well I'd want to try one more times on the Cel C
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #42
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Well I'd want to check the CEL one more time..

.... This is how I do it and I did it tonight.
... Key Off .....Open & close the door . Drivers .. Not supposed to make a difference But for some reason.. I seemed to get more good starts.
.. SO turn key to ON....OFF... ON...OFF ... ON...... LEAVE KEY HERE ..... Wait it starts with 12 .. one flash & then a pulse and then 2 flashes .. that signals it's about to start . then count the flashes & then the next set of flashes ....
... To night I had a code 22 because I had unhooked the coolant sensor . Plugged it back in and CEL WENT OFF.
then it ends with code 55...... I think I read them on my 1998 I gave it to my Grand Daughter. So give it another try.
... If not drop by Auto Zone & get a print out.
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #43
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buick-lsx View Post
fluid level was fine and fluid didnt smell burnt, seemed like there was a lot of air bubbles but besides that idk
Air bubbles is usually an indication of low fluid level.
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #44
buick-lsx
1998 ZJ 

The fluid was right above the full mark...and it only did this the last 2 times I drive it, when the engine temp gets to 210.

The last 2 weeks it hasn't had a problem but also never got up to 210 either. Only got to 210 when I covered the grill twice, and happens to be the 2 times it slipped
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #45
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitt View Post
Well I'd want to check the CEL one more time..

.... This is how I do it and I did it tonight.
... Key Off .....Open & close the door . Drivers .. Not supposed to make a difference But for some reason.. I seemed to get more good starts.
.. SO turn key to ON....OFF... ON...OFF ... ON...... LEAVE KEY HERE ..... Wait it starts with 12 .. one flash & then a pulse and then 2 flashes .. that signals it's about to start . then count the flashes & then the next set of flashes ....
... To night I had a code 22 because I had unhooked the coolant sensor . Plugged it back in and CEL WENT OFF.
then it ends with code 55...... I think I read them on my 1998 I gave it to my Grand Daughter. So give it another try.
... If not drop by Auto Zone & get a print out.
When you get to our age it seems that you start to see your collection of tools as a museum .
I have another Actron (antique) scanner to add to my collection that helps greatly in troubleshooting. It got to the point that the cost of running down to the parts store to get the "P" codes read was costing more than the scanner. It never ends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.